Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 03.24.14

Refrigerator Maintenance

I've seen it before where a homeowner was going to replace a perfectly good frig because it wasn't able to keep cool. The problem was the exchanger coils were coated in tons of dust. Use this checklist to keep your frig alive. #MyKitchen

-Clean heat exchanger coils

-Clean door gasket

-Defrost freezer

-Clean all external and internal surfaces

-Replace water filter (if applicable)

To see more: http://blog.homespothq.com/2013/01/refrigerator-and-freezer-maintenance/

17 Comments Displaying 10 of 17 comments
  • Lin R Smyrna, TN
    My friend has 3 dogs and hers got so full of dust and fur that the fridge stopped working and was replaced. She learned her lesson the hard way for sure!
    • LeAnn Wendling Ashton, IA
      Lin R I ended up doing it that way as well. Now my "old" fridge (that i loved!) is down in the basement and one that I settled for is in my kitchen. As soon as we have the time they are going to be switched back around. Tough, but good lesson!!
  • HomeSpot HQ Durham, NC
    Lin R, I bet any home with pets is going to face this at some point (if neglected). The good thing is it is an easy DIY task.
  • Pat Alpharetta, GA
    I think most folks know to clean them, but the fridge is so bloody hard to move and get behind!
    • Waysouth Australia
      Pat Love this reply. As for putting wheels on it, you have to find/force/bribe or PAY someone to do it.
  • I AGREE Pat the fridge is so bloody hard to move!!!
  • Cathy Burton, MI
    there are wheels that can be put under appliances to help move them. Plus the wheels keep from cutting up or scratching the floor when the appliance is moved
  • Charlotte Kent Tremont, MS
    I don't see any coils on the back of my frig. My icemaker is not working properly; the first thing I thought was to clean the back. But when I managed to roll it out, there was nothing to clean. Everything is covered up I guess. What do I do now? Anyone
  • Barbara Meadows De Queen, AR
    your coils are hidden behind cardboard panel with screws,mine is that way,i had to call me sears store before I read my manual,it shows where they are