Hometalk.com

Cleaning 03.26.14

MILDEW IN THE BATHROOM

Q: The paint in our hall bath always peels. Was the ceiling not properly primed? Now we are getting mildew in the bathroom on the ceiling and walls. What should we do?

A: This is a pet home repair project of mine. Paint peels for only a couple of reasons.The primary reason is moisture. The steam from the shower rises and stays on the ceiling. It is critical that the exhaust fan be in use with every shower.

I recommend connecting the fan to the light.That way the fan goes on every time the light goes on. Also check the fan that it is clean and effective in removing the steam.The mildew is created by moisture in a dark environment. Use bleach to remove the mildew from tile. You may have to replace the sheet rock in the ceiling and walls.

More info.... http://greathomepainting.com/Home-Improvemen...

Difficulty: Moderate
24 Comments Displaying 15 of 24 comments | See Previous
  • Joyce Flom Billings, MT
    I googled mildew a week ago because there was mildew on our basement windows and shower stall. They told me how to mix white vinegar to clean it or it would come back. Glad to see all these comments!
  • Warren W Maywood, NJ
    Bleach, vinegar and don't forget just plain old hydrogen peroxide is very effective and probably the cheapest of them all
  • Debby Gentry Wylie, TX
    Has anyone tried Kilz on mildew on sheetrock?
  • Please understand,. Not all molds are killed by vinegar. It will remove it physically from what ever your cleaning, but most molds are NOT killed by this product. In addition bleach also does not kill all molds. It bleaches the mold making it harder to
  • Joyce Flom Billings, MT
    Thanks! Nice to have the input from you. Back to the drawing board for me! I've never had this problem before and driving me nuts!
  • Joyce Flom I have a few questions for you as you said your basement windows are condensing moisture and mold is appearing on them.
  • Barbara Seagrave East Sandwich, MA
    We have a log home so we don't have sheetrock for walls. Our ceiling and walls are cedar log with a varnish on them and we have mold that we can't get rid of. We also can't put in a fan. Any thoughts for removing mold on cedar?
  • Cedar logs that are exposed presents a special problem. Because the wood is organic the mold can easily grow into the surfaces. While you can kill off the spores that have grown using Ozone as one method, the bigger issue is the staining. There is
  • My daughter moved into her home about 6 months ago. It's taken 5 months, but leaks appeared in her bathroom fans and in several rooms. After several people looked for a problem, such as an issue with the roof, it was discovered that one of her bathroom
  • Just be sure they insulate the pipes when they get the vents installed. Otherwise the condensation will travel back down into the fan unit.
  • Barbara Seagrave East Sandwich, MA
    We have the mold in the bathroom and along the high beam of our house which goes into our bedroom. We had a problem with a leaking roof about 5 years ago and replaced the roof. Then we had a problem with moisture when the house was too hot so we now have
  • I did a church a few years ago that had mold at the top of a very large ceiling. it is important that you do ventilate that area either by using fans to move the air around or as you do during part of the year run the ac. What happens is the warm air
  • Barbara Seagrave East Sandwich, MA
    Thanks for checking into this for us. That's pretty much what we are doing. Ventilating and sanding...
  • Another way to do this is to use dry ice blasting. its a bit expensive but it will restore the logs to original beauty. The dry ice is shot out of a sand blasting type of device and as the ice hits the wood it breaks down. As it does this it removes a
  • Max Schau Australia
    Really helpful article I have to say! What if there's mould and mildew in the ventilation? I have read that this is very dangerous and it could cause a lot of trouble. I am pretty sure that even if there's no mildew visible, a proper duct cleaning http://www.fantasticductcleaningmelbourne.co...