New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Q: The paint in our hall bath always peels. Was the ceiling not properly primed? Now we are getting mildew in the bathroom on the ceiling and walls. What should we do?

A: This is a pet home repair project of mine. Paint peels for only a couple of reasons.The primary reason is moisture. The steam from the shower rises and stays on the ceiling. It is critical that the exhaust fan be in use with every shower.

I recommend connecting the fan to the light.That way the fan goes on every time the light goes on. Also check the fan that it is clean and effective in removing the steam.The mildew is created by moisture in a dark environment. Use bleach to remove the mildew from tile. You may have to replace the sheet rock in the ceiling and walls.

More info....

Difficulty: Moderate
  • The number one defense against mold is good ventilation. Opened windows and a good flow of fresh air are great, but not always practical--for instance, in cold winter temperatures or very hot humid summer weather.
  • On porous surfaces such as sheetrock, if the mold is imbedded in the substrate, the material will have to be removed and replaced in order to eliminate the source of the mold.
  • Max Schau
    Max Schau Australia
    Really helpful article I have to say! What if there's mould and mildew in the ventilation? I have read that this is very dangerous and it could cause a lot of trouble. I am pretty sure that even if there's no mildew visible, a proper duct cleaning
    • DawnandMichael Weaver
      DawnandMichael Weaver Siloam Springs, AR
      Would you mind if I copied this to my Facebook? along with your Information of coarse.
  • Suz
    Suz Harpswell, ME
    We used to have mold and mildew in our baths. When we renovated them, we installed two exhaust fans in each bath. The first one was put on the ceiling over the showers. There are specific fans that can go inside showers. We then tiled around them.
  • Vicki
    Vicki Smyrna, GA
    I saw lowe's or home depot that they had moisture sensor exhaust fans last year or so. I thought cool. do not know if they really work. I am thinking to replace exhaust fans with lights to moisture sensor instead to turn exhaust fan with timer for one
  • Woodbridge Environmental
    Here is a link to Panasonic vent system with the sensor. But to me its way over kill as the sensor when it goes bad will be expensive to fix.
  • Kala Professional Restoration services
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
Great Home Painting

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post