Hometalk.com

A Flawless Drywall Repair

Fixing a hole in drywall is a great DIYer project, and it's a skill that every homeowner should master. There's more than one way to patch a medium-sized hole. However, this is the fail-proof method used by pro contractors.

1. Square the hole

2. Install a backer-board

3. Cut a new piece of drywall

4. Tape all the joints

5. Apply several coats of mud

6. Sand smooth

7. Prime and paint

#drywall #repair

Time: 2 Hours Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/how-to-repair-medium-size-hole-in-drywall/

26 Comments Displaying 15 of 26 comments | See Previous
  • I did that to a medicine cabinet hole, It was much bigger and when I Finished it , It never looked like there was a cabinet in the wall.. Kinda cool looking at the finished work and knowing what a great job it was to complete.
  • Supernewf Canada
    Another trick that I have used is to cut a picce of drywall 1" larger than the square hole. Strip the drywall from the front paper covering, 1" all the way around, that way the piece of drywall will fit in the square hole with the 1" paper covering
  • This came at the perfect time! My husband is working on repairing a wall right now....I will pass this tip along! Thank you!
  • Aquascape Inc. Saint Charles, IL
    Great tips. Thanks!
  • After you click on the link, it just makes more sense...I've never tried this but have a hole in my ceiling where I moved a light fixture (w/popcorn)! It's been like that since 2005 and I've yet to muster up the guts to try this! Thanks though!
  • Lynn Endicott Denton, TX
    Cut your square like stated in the above... and as you cut the wall bevel the edge abut 45 degrees so that the inside edge of the cut is smaller than the outside edge of the hole. Then bevel cut the insert drywall piece so so that the inside of the wall
  • Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Supernewf that's called a hot patch, and while it can look good, it's not as durable of a repair. Hot patches rely on mud for strength, and you *might* see cracks form.
  • Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Lynn Endicott, I've never heard that trick before. Have you ever had trouble making sure the bevel angles match or the new piece of drywall sitting proud from the wall?
  • Supernewf Canada
    Maybe but I've never had a problem with it. So long as the hole isn't too big. Thanks for the feed back.
  • Lynn Endicott Denton, TX
    Na... just wing it at about a 45 degree angle making the profile of the new patch piece look like a trapezoid. This keeps the patch piece from going into the wall... tape and bed and presto chango easy patch. Only reason that this might not work is if
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Don't forget to texture your patch to match the existing area around it. We have patched holes and replaces entire sections where one of our dogs tried to "dig" her way out of the laundry room. We didn't texture the patched areas and it really shows.
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Scrape the texturing off the area surrounding the hole , about 2 inches, to make it easier to feather the drywall compound. We had to redo 2 patches in another room because the original texturing was put on really thick and our hole turned into a bump no
  • Kp Downers Grove, IL
    yes the link says it .....all step by step.... thanks !!!!
  • Joan Gondeck Austin, TX
    We do pretty good at patching the hole, I just don't get the texture like the old.
  • Move Masters Newport Beach, CA
    Well this refillment can be applicable for a smaller hole, where it can give result truly satisfying, but if the hole is bigger & much more bolder then it is better to hire a mason to do the repair work properly.