Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Decor Ideas 07.14.14

Customized All-Natural Room Scents

Do you ever get tired of the overpowering scent of commercial air-fresheners? Why not customize your own scent with all-natural ingredients. Combine fresh citrus with herbs and extracts and simmer on the stove.

I made this yesterday and my kitchen smelled absolutely amazing! It was full of the crispness of lemon combined with the heady scent of vanilla and the occasional whiff of rosemary!

Absolutely wonderful!

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $4.00 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.folklifestyle.com/2013/01/all-natural-customized-room-scents.html

35 Comments Displaying 15 of 35 comments | See Previous
  • Maryann L
    Maryann L Troy, NH
    Theres nothing like the smell of rosemary and lemons DIVINE!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Marcia M
    Marcia M Piedmont, OH
    I have used the different combinations but not with the lemons, I will do that. It is a very inexpensive way to keep the kitchen smelling good and inviting.
  • Elizabeth K
    Love this!
  • Joanne Cole
    Joanne Cole Alamogordo, NM
    And it looks pretty in a clear container.
  • Victoria Cross
    @ Joanne - I wonder if you put the container (or a canning jar) with it on one of those candle warmer's if it would keep it warm enough so could you use it as a display/air freshener in another part of the house?
  • Kate F
    Kate F New Britain, CT
    Like Karen and Heather above - I too decided not to toss my orange peels one day and stuck them in a pot with cloves, allspice and cinnamon and will simmer it on and off several times throughout the day as needed!
  • Danita Griffith
    Danita Griffith Paw Paw, WV
    I love how my whole house smells right at this moment!!!! I used 3 oranges, whole cloves, and allspice, with a bit of cinnamon, brought 2 quarts of water w/all the ingredients to a boil like you said, and Even my fiancee loves how the house smells!!!! I
  • Marcia M
    Marcia M Piedmont, OH
    Today I mixed up some spices that I have on hand with lemon juice and water. We have a wood burner in our basement with heat vents in each room in our house, I put a pan of the mixture on the top of woodburner and my whole house smells good. Not
  • Jimmy S
    Jimmy S Brooks, GA
    I am looking to go to natural smells but one post mentioned its only good for that afternoon. So am I understanding this is not good for several days or even a week. 3 oranges a day, lemons, cinnamon and other things seems to me can get quite expensive
  • Kate F
    Kate F New Britain, CT
    Jimmy - not so. I kept my pot of orange peels & spices on the stove for several days - warming and rewarming on & off. I kept adding water as it evaporated. Once they looked pretty bad then I threw them out. After eating oranges another day, I began it
    • Cathy W
      Cathy W Portland, OR
      Kate F Kate, throw them in your compost pile, or flower bed for next seasons nuitriants. I tossed some orange diffused vinegar with peels into my "kitchen" garden. The vinegar killed the weeds and the peels went into the soil. So toss back into the earth!
    • Cathy W
      Cathy W Portland, OR
      Why did I throw out the orange vinegar? Think I made it wrong (too long in vinegar and should have peeled the oranges better) and it stunk! Garden was happy tho'!
  • Bridgette
    Bridgette Sherman, TX
    I have boil cut in half oranges with cinnmow and sometime with other spices like you get from a pumkin pie you bring it to a boil and then turn it down on low and let the steam do it job. My husband thinks i am making dessert sometime haha
  • Amy W.
    Amy W. Clermont, FL
    Add to this post...I love this idea, karianne,you can make them up ahead of time and they are ready to go, I put mine in an old tea pot and let it simmer all day, add water when needed...
  • Elizabeth Sagarminaga
    Elizabeth Sagarminaga Mission Viejo, CA
    I agree, the scent of lemon or oranges fills the air with a very nice aroma. I love this smell and keep lemons everyday in my front room. And it is much better than the commercial ones available in the market, both performance wise and health wise.
Thistlewood

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!