Hometalk.com

06.05.12

I am trying to xeriscape my Florida backyard.

I am diminishing the amount of lawn, and making an Arroyo to distribute rain water from the roof gutters. I would love to hear about other projects here in Florida.
24 Comments Displaying 15 of 24 comments | See Previous
  • I have to agree with Douglas, build what you will get the most use out of. Personally it would be a fire pit for me.
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    I agree with Douglas. I know how great they are because I have a pergola and it helps a lot in hot, sunny Florida. But it all comes down to what do you like. I personally would never want a fire pit.
  • Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    Thanks for all the great comments. I am working on a design that will give me storage,privacy, work space and space to sit and admire.... Will try to scan a drawing soon.
  • Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    Doug,, The landscape fabric is commercial grade woven plastic ribbons. I get it at Busy Bee in Wabasso. They charge 69cents per ft forthe 3' and 1.69 for the 12' wide... The water will flow and absorb. With the grade in the river, the majority
  • Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    Doug, The Oleander is next to the fabric. Is that a problem?
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Cynthia, I am concerned about how much water is getting to the roots of the oleander and how much the plastic is raising the soil temperature. I personally would could the fabric back at least to the drip line of the oleander.
  • Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    Good comment,,,, the black plastic is now covered with gravel and rocks to keep the temp down.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Additionally, the plastic can create an anaerobic condition in the soil, where there is no exchange of gases between the soil and the atmosphere.
  • Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    I understand,,,, the landscape fabric is the kind you walk on a some nurseries and it breathes quite well. So far the Oleander has exploded with leaves. When I dug out the river, I was very careful to keep the roots intact. It took a while, since I
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Sounds like you definitely thought things through, Cynthia. Good thing we've got sandy soil if you did all that with a hand trowel!
  • Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    I only used a hand trowel around the roots. lol If I had done all that with a hand trowel, they would have committed me by now.....lmao
  • Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    Hi hometalk friends! Here's some new pics of my back yard "river" project.
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Cynthia B, you might want to add bromeliads in somewhat shady places. They require very little water and are very colorful.
  • Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    Do bromeliads spread out?
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Cynthia, yes. I have a huge bed of them. They make baby bromeliads by themselves.