Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Dryer Duct Cleaning: Dust Bunnies are Pyromaniacs

12.13.14
We all clean our dryer's lint trap but when is the last time you vacuumed the dryer ducts or around the heating element?

Okay, I'm ashamed to admit that I've never done this (yes I should be punished by the DIY gods).

So this past weekend our electric Maytag dryer got some much needed cleaning attention. Here are some tips you can immediately put into action to prevent a dryer fire in your own home (and believe or not there over 15,000 annually):

+Add an appliance brush to a 1/4 inch drill and thoroughly clean all duct tubing

+Vacuum tubing, the lint reservoir, and inside the dryer around the heating element

+Make sure there isn't a birds nest or other animal debris in your exhaust vent

+Use stiff walled or rigid metal duct tubing instead of the plastic variety

+When you push your dryer back against the wall don't kink or crush the tubing

+Make all kids & husbands do their own laundry on Sunday (haha, this last one is optional although I wash mine all the time)

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/dryer-duct-cleaning/

17 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 17 comments | See Previous
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I wrote an article on this last year. It was in conjunction with me setting up our new "used" dryer. The pic in the article was one I shot at one of my clients home. It is one of the worst ones I have seen in some years. The best runs are short and built
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    The picture in your article is crazy. The dryer duct looks like a slinky trying to escape from behind the dryer, LOL.

Nice job with the rigid

• Val L
    Val L Henderson, NV
    Mine goes through the roof of my house and the cover is welded on. Any suggestions?
  • Judy S
    Judy S Oshkosh, WI
    If you don't want to or cannot DIY, hire Dryer Vent Wizards (a national franchise). Our vents in the condo go through the roof, too. He found many problems throughout our HOA. Worth it to get it checked out!
  • Debra D
    Debra D Katy, TX
    PLEASE! Make sure you do this. I just moved into a rental that had a washer/gas dryer included that was left behind by the last tenant. (NOT covered by the landlord) They both looked good and ran, so I decided to keep them. The dryer decided to quit
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Knowing nothing about dryers I was shocked when I learned mine went through the roof. I had the dryer moved to an outside wall and needed an electrician to install the proper wiring. Now it has a straight short run to the outside & I feel a lot safer.
  • Trent-Tonya Sharp
    Trent-Tonya Sharp Franklinton, LA
    thanks for this post i need to do this i like following your post so helpful
  • LoEtta yaden
    LoEtta yaden Longview, WA
    Do not forget to clean the lint tray evvery time you use ur dryer.

• Helene Chamberlin
    Helene Chamberlin Lubbock, TX
    I bought the link lizzard last year and it has worked wonderfully for me in helping to keep the lint down in the hosing area. Will work on pulling the front off the dryer this weekend to clean the dust from inside. We live in West Texas so I am quite
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks Judy for helping out Val. I've never heard of the Dryer Vent Wizards but if you've had a good experience with them that's good enough for me :)
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Debra, that's a crazy story.

If that isn't enough to get us off our butts then I don't know what is. Glad to hear you're okay and your dryer is back to

• Linda Meyer
    Linda Meyer Savannah, GA
    I have been having a problem with the way my dryer is vented also. The laundry room is in the second floor and is vented up through the stand up attic and out the roof. I have to go into the attic and take the dryer vent tubes apart, clean out the duct
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Linda Meyer if the run is pretty straight forward and you only need to "punch through" one exterior wall you should be able to get it completed for just couple hours work. The cost will depend on the rate of the installer...handyman type vs Pro HVAC tech.
    • Linda Meyer
      Linda Meyer Savannah, GA
      KMS Woodworks I will need to punch through the wall between the laundry room and the bathroom and then go the lenghth of the bathroom to the outside wall. Good thing is my closet runs behind all
  • Evelyn McMullen
    Evelyn McMullen Montgomery, AL
    Haven't yet figured out where my dryer vents to, not up thru the attic. Have zero lot line, it may be on the side of house that's neighbor's yard wall. Been in the house 10 yrs need to do something about it.
Home Repair Tutor

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing