Dryer Duct Cleaning: Dust Bunnies are Pyromaniacs

cleaning 06.16.15
We all clean our dryer's lint trap but when is the last time you vacuumed the dryer ducts or around the heating element?

Okay, I'm ashamed to admit that I've never done this (yes I should be punished by the DIY gods).

So this past weekend our electric Maytag dryer got some much needed cleaning attention. Here are some tips you can immediately put into action to prevent a dryer fire in your own home (and believe or not there over 15,000 annually):

+Add an appliance brush to a 1/4 inch drill and thoroughly clean all duct tubing

+Vacuum tubing, the lint reservoir, and inside the dryer around the heating element

+Make sure there isn't a birds nest or other animal debris in your exhaust vent

+Use stiff walled or rigid metal duct tubing instead of the plastic variety

+When you push your dryer back against the wall don't kink or crush the tubing

+Make all kids & husbands do their own laundry on Sunday (haha, this last one is optional although I wash mine all the time)

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/dryer-duct-cleaning/

• Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Debra, that's a crazy story.

If that isn't enough to get us off our butts then I don't know what is. Glad to hear you're okay and your dryer is back to

• Linda Meyer
    Linda Meyer Savannah, GA
    I have been having a problem with the way my dryer is vented also. The laundry room is in the second floor and is vented up through the stand up attic and out the roof. I have to go into the attic and take the dryer vent tubes apart, clean out the duct
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Linda Meyer if the run is pretty straight forward and you only need to "punch through" one exterior wall you should be able to get it completed for just couple hours work. The cost will depend on the rate of the installer...handyman type vs Pro HVAC tech.
    • Linda Meyer
      Linda Meyer Savannah, GA
      KMS Woodworks I will need to punch through the wall between the laundry room and the bathroom and then go the lenghth of the bathroom to the outside wall. Good thing is my closet runs
  • Evelyn McMullen
    Evelyn McMullen Montgomery, AL
    Haven't yet figured out where my dryer vents to, not up thru the attic. Have zero lot line, it may be on the side of house that's neighbor's yard wall. Been in the house 10 yrs need to do something about it.
  • Correy.smith321
    This comment is under admin review
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
Home Repair Tutor