The Secret to Dealing with Quirky Room Challenges

Coastal 06.12.15
Our circa 1875 home presents unique design challenges when trying to place furniture to create good traffic flow. Too many doors and odd-sized walls means having to be creative with furniture choices and decor. Our living room is the most challenging since it sits in the middle of the house.

• Light wall colors help to keep the room fresh and airy.
  • Eco-friendly script bamboo mats pull furniture together and provides a cohesive look from room to room.
  • The window in the stairwell is not curtained so that ample light will fill the room.
  • A club chair provides comfy seating along a wall wedged between the staircase and laundry room door.
  • A simple wooden star adds interest to the window oddly placed at the bottom of the stairway.

To see more:

• Rachel Medina
    Rachel Medina Ogallala, NE
    Thanks for the rug info;) looking now;)
  • Tammy Lynn Hebert
    Tammy Lynn Hebert Sanford, NC
    I live in a historic foursquare so I get the quirkiness. But isn't that the character we love? I love this look. What paint colors did you use if you don't mind me asking?
  • Town and Country Living
    Thanks, ladies!
  • Adventures in Decorating
    Such a gorgeous room, Jennifer! So bright, welcoming and full of character!
  • Rhoda V
    Rhoda V Kennesaw, GA
    I love your space, it's so clean and bright!
  • Kelli
    Kelli Springfield, MO bright and fresh!
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Beautiful Room! These old houses are so special. I love your colors and the look of the room!
  • Town and Country Living
    Rachel Medina, those rugs are made by Peacock Park Designs. If you go to their website, click on "Find a Retailer" and they'll help you find someone near you who carries it. I can't tell you how many times I get asked about those bamboo rugs. They're
  • Town and Country Living
    Thanks, everyone! I truly appreciate your comments. Julie C - good luck with your farmhouse. Sounds like fun even though it's a lot of work.
Town and Country Living

Search Feedback