Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Next step to building a home - cabinets

02.02.13
We are meeting with the cabinet makers on Wed to discuss kitchen and bathroom cabinets. ONe of the things I want to ensure is that all lower cabinets have pull out drawers or shelves as we want to grow old(er) in this home and with bad backs, bending gets tougher every year. :) I heard recycling and garbage in one cabinet is good... anything you are dying to tell me before I meet with the makers would be great to hear.
14 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 14 of 14 comments
  • SLS Construction & Building Solutions LLC
    Quality of construction would be top of my list - dovetails instead of just face stapling, etc... Full pull slides are very nice though that can get pricey... At least 1/2 ply for drawer bottoms... ask to see mockup's... thats all I got at the moment, oh
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Designs by BSB, helping you love where you live!
    Just a few off the top of my head..

full extension drawers (lets you use ALL of it ;)

• Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    I would check into a CAPS certified contractor. NAHB located in GA Check out their web site for someone near you. http://www.nahb.org/reference_list.aspx?sect...
  • Hewitt Remodeling Services LLC
    Hewitt Remodeling Service... Virginia Beach, VA
    Don't let the one on the car lot with the sexy paint job and the cool rims get your heart racing. Spend the money and get quality, functional, well-built cabinets...they are worth every penny. I am talking about the cabinets themselves. That special
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    A tall skinny unit for cutting boards and or large cookies sheets etc.
  • Hamtil Construction LLC
    Hamtil Construction LLC Saint Louis, MO
    There are so many add ons that you can put into cabinets! Offerings vary from manufacturer and then there are aftermarket items like rev a shelf. Some that come to mind for your situation might be a toe kick release for the trash base, a "mixer lift",
  • Lori Gay
    Lori Gay Rochester, NH
    Thank you all so much. Today we meet with the cabinet maker to discuss. I am bringing all your ideas with me. Stay tuned for the next homework I get :)
  • The HandyRepair Man, Inc.
    Had a similiar comments as did Hamtil Construction LLC, I would recommend his solution. Happy Cabinet Installs!
  • Nest Home Improvement
    Lori,

At the design phase, be sure to note where your hvac ducts are currently located (either floor for base cabinets or ceiling

• Lori Gay
    Lori Gay Rochester, NH
    Thank you for all the suggestions about cabinets. We got loads of answers. Now I have another question about finish. I want a white kitchen... do you suggest thermofoil or painted cabinets? I had no idea there were so many different kinds of everything.
    Overall & in general I would say painted means more upkeep while thermafoil is easier to keep clean. With that said I would go with a solid stain or painted wood cabinet over thermafoil as most thermafoil cabs are made of particleboard & once water gets
    Thermafoil? I wouldnt do it. I have been in the kitchen/bath cabinet business over 24yrs .. and factories claim they got it right every year. They have a life span, like anything ... but at least with wood (or even painted wood) you can refinish/repaint!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I too would avoid Thermofoil, once de-laminated your are pretty much out of luck for any type of repair.
  • Hamtil Construction LLC
    Hamtil Construction LLC Saint Louis, MO
    Definitely painted. You usually pay a little more vs. a stained finish, but you will have lots more color options, and in the end, a better looking kitchen. If you are looking around at different manufacturers, there are varying price increases for
Lori Gay

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing