Next step to building a home - cabinets

02.02.13
We are meeting with the cabinet makers on Wed to discuss kitchen and bathroom cabinets. ONe of the things I want to ensure is that all lower cabinets have pull out drawers or shelves as we want to grow old(er) in this home and with bad backs, bending gets tougher every year. :) I heard recycling and garbage in one cabinet is good... anything you are dying to tell me before I meet with the makers would be great to hear.
  • Lori Gay
    Lori Gay Rochester, NH
    Thank you for all the suggestions about cabinets. We got loads of answers. Now I have another question about finish. I want a white kitchen... do you suggest thermofoil or painted cabinets? I had no idea there were so many different kinds of everything.
  • SLS Construction & Building Solutions LLC
    Overall & in general I would say painted means more upkeep while thermafoil is easier to keep clean. With that said I would go with a solid stain or painted wood cabinet over thermafoil as most thermafoil cabs are made of particleboard & once water gets
  • Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    Thermafoil? I wouldnt do it. I have been in the kitchen/bath cabinet business over 24yrs .. and factories claim they got it right every year. They have a life span, like anything ... but at least with wood (or even painted wood) you can refinish/repaint!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I too would avoid Thermofoil, once de-laminated your are pretty much out of luck for any type of repair.
  • Hamtil Construction LLC
    Hamtil Construction LLC Saint Louis, MO
    Definitely painted. You usually pay a little more vs. a stained finish, but you will have lots more color options, and in the end, a better looking kitchen. If you are looking around at different manufacturers, there are varying price increases for
Lori Gay