Hometalk.com

01.31.13

Tile over tile in a shower ??

I met a General Contractor at one of my clients home today and he said they often do not tear up the tile in the master shower when there is a mud pan below. They will put levers over and tile over it all. SERIOUSLY? Anyone do this with luck?

Sounds wickedly risky in my book!

11 Comments Displaying 11 of 11 comments
  • I have seen this type of work done. Reason, I was tearing the old work out. Nuff said.
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    I have never heard of this, but it sounds like really bad karma. Having removed some difficult tile, I would have been really angry if I had found another layer of tile underneath.
  • This is a Contractor I (have) trusted. I am beside myself that he proposed this to my client.
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
  • Hamtil Construction LLC Saint Louis, MO
    No way. Not in a shower. The rare "tile over" work we have done is on non- wet floors where there is concrete below, the situation really warrants it, and it's done correctly.
  • I found that how to from Find Homebuilding to be ok as long as the shower is on a cement floor. What is not addressed in that forum is the moisture that gets past the tile and grout. All shower drain assemblies have a secondary drain point that is below
  • not to beat a dead horse or worn out shower; however, this is a crazy idea and will lead to nothing but ill will and a leaky shower.
  • Here is his reply after I noted my grave concerns..

"Ok I admit it was probably a bad suggestion in this case, and I didn't mean to imply we would do it that way. Only that it

• Besides, who knows how the pan is built, if it was done right, or if it's already damaged.
  • there are always corners that can be cut at a considerable risk. Some people NEED a new shower but cant afford it etc etc....

That is not my type of client and not the work we offer. If we touch your job, Everything is going to be new and warranty'd

• Dcz665 Highland Park, IL
    In the midst of a bathroom renovation at our church the member overseeing the project (a construction o. supervisor) urged us to just level and then tile over the old 1960 tile job. To save money we agreed but the subcontractor HE contracted wouldn't do