Hometalk.com

17 Comments Displaying 15 of 17 comments | See Previous
  • Absolutely Douglas, when gardening is smaller spaces it allows people to have interest and contrast all year long.
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Beautiful The Black Thumb Gardener. I too would like to know the names so I can check if they'd work in our zone.
  • Becky, If you follow the link above the pictures you can see the article those pictures were used in. I was fortunate enough to have Karen Chapman write the article. She has a book coming out soon focused on foliage combinations and is also a landscape
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Thank you The Black Thumb Gardener. I have no clue why I didn't check your link first. I normally do that. Thank you for taking the time to inform me so kindly in what I should have
  • Beautiful! I collect hostas and love foilage plants, huechera look wonderful in the different blues, greens & yellows. My woodland garden is my favourite of all my gardens.
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I have started going more and more for foliage than flowers. here is my first attempt at a foliage bed with only 2 flowers and they come back every year too. I am going to plant a large elevated circle in foliage this year. This photo was taken in July
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Great job, Jeanette. We look forward to seeing what you come up with this year.
  • Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Ahhhh - just what I'v always wanted to do.. I have 2 areas that needs exactly this, instead of flowers. I'd love to know the names of the plants you pictured, if you would not mind. This is where I'd like to omit the flowers and plant the plants. Thank
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Robyn, you have a great start with those ferns. I trust the area is shady? Heuchera would look great in front of them.
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Douglas, this bed will come back every year. I am going to plant different shades of green foliage in my large circle because I am limited to what yard work I can do. Here is a photo of one year.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Jeanette S I don't think anyone would think you were limited in what you can do judging by that lovely front yard.
  • Robyn, have you ever considered Hakone grass? For low light areas its a great way to bring in color that lasts through the entire growing season.
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the compliment Douglas...but we are getting to the point that we have to curtail the work involved due to our growing lack of tolerance to heat...and you know it gets hot here in Atlanta! And dry mading flowers not so desirable. It is getting
  • Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    The Black Thumb Gardner - No I have not considered Hakone grass, but will definitely try this. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it!!
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Just such mysteries are what keeps gardening interesting, Jeanette.