Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Neat 02.11.13

DIY without 911

I read a few posts recently which were about tool safety questions, and as contractors, we have a lot of tips to share about using tools safely! Because DIY projects can involve tools, keeping a few things in mind while you work will ensure avoiding a hospital trip.

1. Always wear safety glasses. You only have 2 eyes, and they are not easily replaced.

2. Keep your arms and legs out of the way. If cutting or drilling with a tool, keep your hands out of the way. If the knife or drill slips, it's going to cut you. One tip to add is when using an "impact drill", the drivers with a sleeve are the smartest way to drive screws. That will ensure the drill does not fall off the screw head and stab your hand.

3. Always unplug power tools prior to changing a blade.

4. Never cut or drill blind. Find out who or what is on the other side of the wall first!

5. Don't overextend your reach with a ladder. This is one of the most common ways people get hurt doing projects around the home. Solid ground, correct weight rating, and common sense goes a long way.

2 Comments Displaying 2 of 2 comments
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    These are great tips! Number for struck me as especially important - does this apply to simple projects such as hanging shelves and such?
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Hamtil Construction LLC
    Hamtil Construction LLC Saint Louis, MO
    Hey Miriam I, thanks for the comment. Did you mean the drilling into walls tip? If so, then yes it would apply in the sense of simply using caution and common sense. Obviously you have to
Hamtil Construction LLC
  • Likes

Julie Draper SLS Construction & Building Solutions LLC Carol L JP S

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!