Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels Yesterday

Custom Guest Cottage

14'x16' guest cottage designed to complement a 1910 bungalow in Tampa, FL. The cottage is set on brick piers, has a 5-Vcrimp metal roof, cypress siding and Craftsman design elements. It has a studio apartment type layout with a sleeping/ living area and a 3/4 bath. There is an option to have a kitchenette, but this unit was built with a storage area instead. It is perfect for housing guests, an elderly parent, or grown children in need of their own space but not yet able to afford their own place. See a video of the shed construction at: http://historicshed.com/2011/10/video-of-the... #guestcottage #tinyhouse #mancave
38 Comments Displaying 15 of 38 comments | See Previous
  • Donna C Manchester, NH
    Would rather have a kitchenette rather than storage or as someone else said an outdoor kitchen.
    • Historic Shed Brooksville, FL
      Donna C The original plan includes a kitchenette, but this customer planned to have her guests join her for meals in the main house so she opted for storage/ laundry room.
  • Sue Sparta, MI
    I really like this college, I could live in these. Good job.
  • Stacie A Hillsboro, MO
    This would be amazing for my daughter to come stay in when she's home...so she has more privacy. What a view she would have from her window!
  • Robert Lusnia Toms River, NJ
    Like to have this as a workshop!
  • F. barwick Spring Hill, FL
    OMGoodness! was so impressed then I saw it was adapted from a 1910 bungalow in Tampa, FL. We live in Spring Hill, have son that is detective with HCSO in Tampa - wanted address so he could go by & look @ it. Upon clicking to see the video found
  • Sondra Lincoln, NE
    Love this. What is the cost to build, with kitchenette?
    • Historic Shed Brooksville, FL
      Sondra I tell people to plan about $115-125 per square foot for a finished cottage with plumbing and electric. Of course, you can drive the price up or down depending on your finish choices.
  • Mary Del Buono Daytona Beach, FL
    you must consult with town first...sewer or septic??? bathroom??? electricity??? I was just thinking...so cute...
    • Historic Shed Brooksville, FL
      Mary Del Buono In this case, the owner was able to tie in to the existing home's systems - even running the hot water off the existing heater in the house. This cottage had to go through
  • Carol M Gig Harbor, WA
    What a good idea! I too would like to see the inside.
  • Donald Wojtaszek Louisville, KY
    I wonder if it's controlled by a property management association? You know they would screw the good part all up!

• Gloria Schlender Austin, TX
    A Murphy-type bed would allow room for work/visitors during day. Have seen set ups where desk/table was attached flat against bottom of bed to be opened out when bed closed.
  • Beth Bleas Powell, OH
    I would love to see the inside all dressed up !