Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
11.02.11

Anyone out there think that a redbud tree is a good tree for in front of a townhouse that has approximately 8' x 8'

yard? This spot is irrigated and is in full sun for most of the day. When to plant? Care? Pros/cons? I think they are pretty! Thank so much!
12 Comments Displaying 12 of 12 comments
  • Walter Reeves
    Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    hmmmm.....even though a redbud is considered a small tree, my 'Forest Pansy' is easily 8' x 8' after four years of life. Look online for 'Dixie Colonnade' dogwood, a narrow, upright dogwood.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Dana K
    Dana K Atlanta, GA
    thank you, Walter. I will consider your suggestion. But, back to that Redbud- wouldn't it still work if the bough was up high enough to walk under? This would be very close to our front door/walk. Could it be slightly pruned/shaped to work in this space?
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    Dana, There is a weeping redbud called 'Covey' or Lavender Twist that would work well in the setting you describe. Worth checking out. All the beauty of a redbud but perhaps not as large
  • Mike and Anne
    Mike and Anne Raleigh, NC
    Great idea Erica, I planted a weeping redbud a couple of years ago near my patio and it is very striking and fairly slow growing. I too would recommend the Lavender Twist variety. Redbuds usually don't live as long as an oak or a maple, but should give
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    A nursery near me has a "Forest Pansy" that has been in the ground for awhile and it is BIG, and probably as wide as it is tall. Definitely not for a small space.
  • David S
    David S Fayetteville, GA
    AS AN ALTERNATIVE .......I HAVE A NEIGHBOR WITH A BEAUTIFUL DAPPLED WILLOW WHICH IS ABOUT 7' TALL ANF 5' WIDE . IT'S A BEAUTIFUL SPECIMAN . AND COUD BE PRUNED TO SUIT YOUR NEEDS AS THE YEARS GO BY .
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    I would highly recommend that you not plant a willow in a small area like the one you describe, they grow quickly and can take up alot of space, in all directions, including the roots. Willows are great trees for large areas, but not close to a foundation.
  • Dana K
    Dana K Atlanta, GA
    Thank you all for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because I am limited to a redbud tree. This is what our HOA has decided to allow. So with that in mind, now I'm wondering what size and what specimen of the redbud would be best. (the
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Dana, I think you need to have a talk with your HOA because while a redbud may be considered a small tree, its mature size is routinely given as 20-25 feet tall AND wide. There is no truly upright cultivar that I know of. There is nothing worse than
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    Douglas, an excellent suggestion. I have admired the redbud 'Don Egolf' at the Atlanta Botanical Garden for years and the blooms are great.
  • Dana K
    Dana K Atlanta, GA
    thank you, everyone.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    You're welcome, Dana. Good luck. Post a photo of the new tree when it goes in.
Dana K
  • Like

Patricia Mayne

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!