Lombardy Poplars

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
This is a "warning" post. I had planted a row of these about 4 years ago, with the intention of blocking out the neighbor behind us. Our 6 foot privacy fence, on a slope, was only about 5 feet in reality. True to their information, they do grow extremely fast and provide excellent privacy. Within 3 years they were about 15 feet tall.

Unfortunately, we spent last summer trying to exterminate them. The roots are VERY invasive. I found a root up against our above ground pool, and my pool means much more to me than privacy. I didn't need roots poking up through the vinyl liner.

The way we got rid of them was to cut them down, and then spend the entire summer applying TORDON stump killer to the shoots. There were shoots everywhere, even 15 feet up into the yard, in every direction. The drought we had last year was a blessing in disguise for us, because it helped in preventing more roots, since they like water. Tordon works fantastically in immediately killing the shoot.

So, if you like these and want to plant, I would suggest you do it out on the back 40 where it won't bother anything.

• Barb Ross
    Barb Ross Apex, NC
    This will be the perfect tree to block out the highway behind my house. Luckily I have about 40 ft of pines between back yard and the road. Think I will plant them right at my property edge amongst the pines.
  • Judy Fleming
    Judy Fleming Kingston, TN
    I have the same problem and have volunteer shoots 20' away under a gravel driveway. Hope to get them (original trees) cut down for firewood this summer.
  • Patricia Baker
    Patricia Baker Lancaster, KY
    I have heard they grow fast but they also die fast. is this true?
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    They rarely live longer than 20 years, Patricia. That's a very short-lived tree.
  • Verlee Deana Norris Jenkins
    Yes, Douglas, that is what I was going to add...they are short-lived. Guess that's why they send up so many shoots!
Becky (J) P

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post