Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

From an unfinished basement to The Ultimate Man Cave

My husband decided to build out our basement and transform an ugly, unused area of our home into his ultimate #mancave. The process took about six months from start to finish, with my husband working nights and weekends to complete the job. As you can see in the "Before" Photos- there was one room with mirrored walls and a bathroom already built out, but everything else was unfinished.
We stayed close to our $7,500 budget by using these tricks:
DIYing most of the work. My husband and his dad did all the framing, insulation, and sheetrock hanging. They installed all the cabinetry and the doors. We hired subcontractors to lay the flooring and finish out all the paint and trim work detail. We also hired a friend who is an electrician for all lighting and electrical. The painted stairs were done by yours truly. :)
Shop for bargains and use what you've got. We found a discontinued floor display at a local cabinet shop for just $750, so we bought it and delivered it ourselves then my husband reassembled it after the floors and walls were finished. The granite was a scrap piece that we got at a huge markdown. All the furniture was either hand-me-down or purchased used from Craigslist. The wall art was my own photography enlarged to poster size at Costco and framed in Hobby Lobby discounted frames. I work in the construction industry, and had the flooring material leftover from another job so we only paid for labor.
Use free programs such as Sketchup to draw out the space before construction to see how it will look afterwards. It's better for everyone to see things in 3-D to you can all be on the same page with how it is supposed to look.
Now my husband has a great place to escape all the cartoons that play on our living room tv for our 5 year old. It's also a fun place to host Polar Express showings every Christmas. The kids love the arcade and the foosball coffee table.
Actual theater seating from The Alabama theater with photos of The Alabama framed poster size above.
Unique trim details and surround sound mounted by my husband.
We scored this cabinetry for just $750 from a local cabinet maker with a floor sample that had been discontinued.
One of a kind poster from a vineyard in Long Island. They weren't for sale but we got them to sell us one anyway!
The lamp is an old meter that actually spins whenever it's turned on.
Before final decorations were complete.
Rope Lighting on a dimmer switch above the crown molding is great for movies.
Before and after of staircase leading to basement.
Water heater plumbing access- the other side is wide open to the unfinished part of the basement.
They boxed in around the ductwork and got creative with the ceiling heights and trim to get as much height as possible.
DH framed out the cheap mirror with decorative trim for a nice effect.
Slide out pantry storage
Pacman anyone?
Craigslist finds.
Sketchup drawing before we started construction
Here is the room BEFORE. It was completely mirrored on 2 walls. Instead of removing the mirrors we just sheetrocked over them.
The arcade area BEFORE

To see more: http://unskinnyboppy.com/category/basement-remodel/

68 Comments Displaying 15 of 68 comments | See Previous
  • Helen
    Helen Tacoma, WA
    Very well done, not only is this a man cave but his own self contained apartment, minus the shower, and in design department you rock. Fantastic.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Jennifer Lancaster
    Pacman !!Now that;s super cool all by itself.Lol.
  • Patricia Riffe
    Patricia Riffe Bothell, WA
    This is an awesome room now. I'm curious where you found the stainless steel slide out shelves! Would be great in our small condo kitchen.
  • Tonya Marie
    Tonya Marie Medina, OH
    You could rent out your hubby for a few weeks out of the year lol. I love the room! WOW!!
  • Shirley P
    Shirley P Boyd, TX
    what a job, you outdid yourself, simply beautiful
  • Sheri Jameson
    What a great job, can I borrow your hubby to do my basement lol
  • Debra Anderson
    Debra Anderson Sand Springs, OK
    What an awesome room! Great job!
  • Derek George
    LOVE ALL THE TRIM WORK , CROWN MOULDING , FRAMED OUT CEILING , ROPE LIGHTING A GREAT IDEA , GREAT JOB , AND I BET A LOT OF WORK :)
  • Brenda Long
    Brenda Long Winchester, VA
    Very Nice... my hubby would love this!!
  • Cindy-Carroll Allen-Carley
    Absolutely, fantastic redesign...........we love it!!! ~~~ Job well done!!! :)
  • LINDA JERNIGAN
    LINDA JERNIGAN Harrison, TN
    i agree this is the best remodel yet. Your husband did a fantastic job. I love the lamp and the cover for the water heater. Your photography really pops on the walls with the frames he picked out. Lots of moldings and trim. Well done, very classy.
  • Dawn Howard
    Dawn Howard Shepherd, MT
    This is nicer than a man cave... It's elegant!
  • Karyn Faircloth
    Karyn Faircloth Middletown, RI
    Amazing !! Wow if I had that I'd probably still be married :) He could have lived down there . lol
  • Maria Riccomini
    Maria Riccomini Mchenry, IL
    Wow, wow and more wow!!! Truly impressive!
Beth at Unskinny Boppy

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!