New Life for an Old Nighstand

MyRoom 11.18.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I recently painted a nightstand for a client. It belonged to her husband and had been passed down through his family. The previously paint job was flaking off badly (chippy in a not-so-good way) and the top was so water-stained that we couldn't salvage it to re-stain it like we intended. Thanks to a lot of paint, I transformed the nightstand, giving it a renewed life and readied it for many more years of use.

I've used Annie Sloan paint for many, many projects, but this was my first experience using Maison Blanche on a piece. Bayou Blue quickly became one of my favorite colors! More before and after pictures are on the blog. I also talk about the most important first step of painting this piece... testing for lead paint!

• A few coat of Maison Blanche's Bayou Blue and a couple of coats of wax gave the little nightstand a brand new lease on life.
  • Before Shot of the nightstand. The paint was flaking badly... chippy in a not good way!
  • The top was too damaged to be refinished, so it was painted a dark brown and glazed with stain to contrast against the base and give the look of a stained top.
  • The curves and details on the nightstand stand out with a coat of dark wax.

To see more:

• Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I love this color! I have two end tables I am refinishing and this color would be perfect!

Did you do the slip covers on the chairs? I also love

• Storywood Designs
    Storywood Designs Raleigh, NC
    Sherrie, I loved the Bayou Blue color - it's a very rich and deep blue without being too dark. The dark wax also really makes it pop... but it was very pretty without it. I did slip
  • Terri J
    Terri J Annapolis, MD
    I love it, and especially the Bayou Blue! Neve thought of pitting ark wax on the legs to make something pop.
  • Storywood Designs
    Storywood Designs Raleigh, NC
    Thanks Terri J!
  • Jan Tillotson
    Jan Tillotson Georgetown, CA
    Great job on this piece! Really love what you did with the top to make it look just like wood grain!!
Storywood Designs

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post