Hometalk.com

Samantha 3 days ago

Upcycle a Cheap Door Mirror

You know those cheap plastic framed door mirrors that you can find at just about any big box store? I had a couple of them and thought they'd look great as "windows" above my nightstands if I could make them look better. I've had this vision in my head for a couple years and this past week, those mirrors finally got their glam makeover. A full tutorial is on the blog on how to make this, but to sum it up, I added an inexpensive door mirror to a larger MDF base, added molding around the edge of the MDF, then added some decorative X-molding to the mirror. To finish it, I taped off the mirror, spray painted it metallic silver, then added "jewels" to the center of the Xs as a final touch. For the full tutorial and to see this as part of our bedroom makeover, visit me at the blog link http://www.lilikoijoy.com/2013/02/upcycle-do... #diymirror
Cost: $45 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://www.lilikoijoy.com/2013/02/upcycle-door-mirror-from-drab-to-fab.html

54 Comments Displaying 17 of 54 comments | See Previous
  • Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    I am on hold with my faux (mirror) windows...... having trouble finding thin enough trim for the mullions....... I will persevere though.
    • Lisa Larson Hemlock, NY
      Sheryll S If you know someone with a table saw have them rip you off a few 1/4 inch slices from a 1x4 or 1x6 I do it all the time and stock up you never know when an idea might hit you.
    • Juliet O Rosedale, MD
      Sheryll S Home Depot and Lowes both carry dollhouse furniture trim ("tiny trims"). Ask in the lumber/molding department
  • Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy Mukilteo, WA
    Sheryll S , I got mine at Hobby Lobby in their wood hobby section. Try a hobby store if you don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby. Michaels might have them too.
  • Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    Thank you ever so much....... guess what? I tried to hang the second mirror and those cheap tabs don't hold......(thinking it would be safe till I got the backing board and other stuff)...... well, it just crashed about 20 minutes ago into at least a
  • Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    My boy friend discouraged me from this plan of yours and I postponed getting the backing for framing it. Anyone else reading this......... just get the stuff and don't listen to the nay sayers! This WILL be gorgeous in my tiny bedroom sometime in the
  • Cathy Boyland Mesa, AZ
    sweet,going to make these.
  • This would make a fantastic headboard for a bed! Add alittle lighting above it.. and that would ROCK!
  • Tamara Northbrook, IL
    Nicely done!
  • beautifully creative!
  • Betsy Bodrero Tooele, UT
    very classy... what did you use to make the diamond design in the mirrors?????
  • Thelma Serna Crescent City, CA
    good job!! 8)
  • Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    Thank you ever so much for the help Lisa Larson. I will see.... have a old, but younger classmate that can surely do this for me and maybe all of us. I will ask him...... not sure yet.
  • Virginia Hale Killeen, TX
    This is just fab, love it!