Upcycle a Cheap Door Mirror

DIY Projects 04.14.15
You know those cheap plastic framed door mirrors that you can find at just about any big box store? I had a couple of them and thought they'd look great as "windows" above my nightstands if I could make them look better. I've had this vision in my head for a couple years and this past week, those mirrors finally got their glam makeover. A full tutorial is on the blog on how to make this, but to sum it up, I added an inexpensive door mirror to a larger MDF base, added molding around the edge of the MDF, then added some decorative X-molding to the mirror. To finish it, I taped off the mirror, spray painted it metallic silver, then added "jewels" to the center of the Xs as a final touch. For the full tutorial and to see this as part of our bedroom makeover, visit me at the blog link http://www.lilikoijoy.com/2013/02/upcycle-do... #diymirror
Cost: $45 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://www.lilikoijoy.com/2013/02/upcycle-door-mirror-from-drab-to-fab.html

• Cathy Boyland
    Cathy Boyland Mesa, AZ
    sweet,going to make these.
  • Djduke
    This would make a fantastic headboard for a bed! Add alittle lighting above it.. and that would ROCK!
  • Tamara
    Tamara Northbrook, IL
    Nicely done!
  • Karyl Conard
    beautifully creative!
  • Betsy Bodrero
    Betsy Bodrero Tooele, UT
    very classy... what did you use to make the diamond design in the mirrors?????
  • Thelma Serna
    Thelma Serna Crescent City, CA
    good job!! 8)
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    Thank you ever so much for the help Lisa Larson. I will see.... have a old, but younger classmate that can surely do this for me and maybe all of us. I will ask him...... not sure yet.
  • Virginia Hale
    Virginia Hale Killeen, TX
    This is just fab, love it!
  • Lupe Carrasco
    this looks really good!
  • Carole Fullerton
    Carole Fullerton Quitman, LA
    Love this mirror...you did a great job. Thinking this would look good length ways over my fireplace mantle!
  • Lisa House
    Lisa House Vickery, OH
    Fabulous! I am going to try this!
  • Carolyn jones
    Carolyn jones Winston Salem, NC
    Pleas let me know how you got the beautiful finish. It looks like polished metal instead of MDF.
    • Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy
      Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy Mukilteo, WA
      Carolyn jones Hi Carolyn, the instructions on how I made this including the spray paint finish is on the link in the above post. Hope that helps!
  • MsRemix
    MsRemix Philadelphia, PA
    Nice!!
  • Lisa c
    Lisa c Newtown, PA
    Sharon - can you tell me why you took the paper of the mirror?

Thanks, Lisa

• Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy
      Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy Mukilteo, WA
      Lisa c I'm not sure I had to, but since the paper is only meant to cover the back to give it a finished look, it's kind of flimsy and only glued to the mirror on the edges and I was
  • Lisa c
    Lisa c Newtown, PA
    Thanks Sharon! We pulled it off and mirror is now glued and drying. Waiting to caulk and then start spraying. Can't wait to see it finished!!
    • Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy
      Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy Mukilteo, WA
      Lisa c how exciting! If you want to share a photo of it afterwards, I'd love to see how it turned out! You can email me at sharon(at)lilikoijoy.com.
Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy