Upcycle a Cheap Door Mirror

DIY Yesterday
You know those cheap plastic framed door mirrors that you can find at just about any big box store? I had a couple of them and thought they'd look great as "windows" above my nightstands if I could make them look better. I've had this vision in my head for a couple years and this past week, those mirrors finally got their glam makeover. A full tutorial is on the blog on how to make this, but to sum it up, I added an inexpensive door mirror to a larger MDF base, added molding around the edge of the MDF, then added some decorative X-molding to the mirror. To finish it, I taped off the mirror, spray painted it metallic silver, then added "jewels" to the center of the Xs as a final touch. For the full tutorial and to see this as part of our bedroom makeover, visit me at the blog link http://www.lilikoijoy.com/2013/02/upcycle-do... #diymirror
Cost: $45 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://www.lilikoijoy.com/2013/02/upcycle-door-mirror-from-drab-to-fab.html

• Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy
    Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy Mukilteo, WA
    Thanks everyone. Colleen , great idea to use mirror tiles for a project like this!
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    I am now planning to buy all the square candle mirrors I can manage at the Dollar tree, so I can do a faux transom in my dungeon of a living room and also a starburst mirror along the lines of yours. The most my over the door transom would be was 12
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    I am on hold with my faux (mirror) windows...... having trouble finding thin enough trim for the mullions....... I will persevere though.
    • Lisa Larson
      Lisa Larson Hemlock, NY
      Sheryll S If you know someone with a table saw have them rip you off a few 1/4 inch slices from a 1x4 or 1x6 I do it all the time and stock up you never know when an idea might hit you.
    • Juliet O
      Juliet O Rosedale, MD
      Sheryll S Home Depot and Lowes both carry dollhouse furniture trim ("tiny trims"). Ask in the lumber/molding department
  • Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy
    Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy Mukilteo, WA
    Sheryll S , I got mine at Hobby Lobby in their wood hobby section. Try a hobby store if you don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby. Michaels might have them too.
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    Thank you ever so much....... guess what? I tried to hang the second mirror and those cheap tabs don't hold......(thinking it would be safe till I got the backing board and other stuff)...... well, it just crashed about 20 minutes ago into at least a
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    My boy friend discouraged me from this plan of yours and I postponed getting the backing for framing it. Anyone else reading this......... just get the stuff and don't listen to the nay sayers! This WILL be gorgeous in my tiny bedroom sometime in the
    • Becky J
      Becky J Highland, IL
      Sheryll S Amen, sista!
    • Samantha Pulliam
      Samantha Pulliam Florence, KY
      I would think they'd work great in a small bedroom and the mirrors would make the space appear larger...

Go for it girl!

• Cathy Boyland
    Cathy Boyland Mesa, AZ
    sweet,going to make these.
  • Djduke
    This would make a fantastic headboard for a bed! Add alittle lighting above it.. and that would ROCK!
  • Tamara
    Tamara Northbrook, IL
    Nicely done!
  • Karyl Conard
    beautifully creative!
  • Betsy Bodrero
    Betsy Bodrero Tooele, UT
    very classy... what did you use to make the diamond design in the mirrors?????
  • Thelma Serna
    Thelma Serna Crescent City, CA
    good job!! 8)
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    Thank you ever so much for the help Lisa Larson. I will see.... have a old, but younger classmate that can surely do this for me and maybe all of us. I will ask him...... not sure yet.
  • Virginia Hale
    Virginia Hale Killeen, TX
    This is just fab, love it!
  • Lupe Carrasco
    this looks really good!
Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy