Upcycle a Cheap Door Mirror

best ideas 1 hour ago
You know those cheap plastic framed door mirrors that you can find at just about any big box store? I had a couple of them and thought they'd look great as "windows" above my nightstands if I could make them look better. I've had this vision in my head for a couple years and this past week, those mirrors finally got their glam makeover. A full tutorial is on the blog on how to make this, but to sum it up, I added an inexpensive door mirror to a larger MDF base, added molding around the edge of the MDF, then added some decorative X-molding to the mirror. To finish it, I taped off the mirror, spray painted it metallic silver, then added "jewels" to the center of the Xs as a final touch. For the full tutorial and to see this as part of our bedroom makeover, visit me at the blog link http://www.lilikoijoy.com/2013/02/upcycle-do... #diymirror
Cost: $45 Difficulty: Moderate
  • Turn an inexpensive run-of-the-mill door mirror into a glamorous wall mirror. I made two of these mirrors and hung them above the nightstands as part of our master bedroom makeover.
  • It's amazing what a little molding and paint can do to transform something basic or old into custom, one of a kind pieces for your home.

To see more: http://www.lilikoijoy.com/2013/02/upcycle-door-mirror-from-drab-to-fab.html

• Lisa c
    Lisa c Newtown, PA
    Sharon - can you tell me why you took the paper of the mirror?

Thanks, Lisa

• Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy
      Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy Mukilteo, WA
      Lisa c I'm not sure I had to, but since the paper is only meant to cover the back to give it a finished look, it's kind of flimsy and only glued to the mirror on the edges and I was
  • Lisa c
    Lisa c Newtown, PA
    Thanks Sharon! We pulled it off and mirror is now glued and drying. Waiting to caulk and then start spraying. Can't wait to see it finished!!
    • Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy
      Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy Mukilteo, WA
      Lisa c how exciting! If you want to share a photo of it afterwards, I'd love to see how it turned out! You can email me at sharon(at)lilikoijoy.com.
  • Sandy D
    Sandy D Paducah, KY
    Very nice way to inexpensively glam up a bedroom, foyer, bath ... whatever!!!!!
  • Elizabeth Popescu
    Elizabeth Popescu Gilbert, AZ
    Absolutely gorgeous! You inspired me...I do have one blah mirror hanging over my closet door...maybe I'll give it a glam, too! Thank you!
  • Deeners
    deeners Aurora, IL
    Stunning! Beautiful change.
Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy