Mason Jar Chandelier

Lighting 2 days ago
#BeforeandAfter #favoriteroom #Recycle #LightingIdeas #BudgetUpgrade #LookforLess
My DIY hubby did a great job of taking a throw away 10-light brass chandelier with shades and turning it into a beautiful mason jar chandelier and anchor piece for our kitchen redo.
The little platforms around the fake candles were the perfect size to accommodate the rings for the mason jars (clear quart size). He began by hot gluing the rings upside down onto the platforms. Painter's caulk was used to smooth out the transition between ring and platform and a 40-watt chandelier bulb was chosen to eliminate any heating concerns.
He applied an aerosol primer over everything (minus jars) first and then top-coated with a gloss white aerosol. Next, and probably messiest part, was caulking around the rings. The accent color (Annie Sloan chalk paint leftover from our china hutch project) was 2 coats of paint applied to the rings and arms. The perfect last touch was adding a dimmer switch for lighting variations. Score one for my hubby Tim!
Stop by my blog to see a precise tutorial on my new favorite project!
Cost: $30 Difficulty: Moderate
  • The finished product. Love the blue accents against the yellow wall color.
  • The dimmer switch allows great mood lighting!
  • Throw away 10-light brass chandelier with cloth shades.
  • Love the intricate patterns created by the mason jars.
  • Hot gluing the rings upside down onto the platform.
  • Spray painting an aerosol primer first, followed by a gloss white top coat.
  • Applying caulking was the next step.
  • Painting the accent color in Annie Sloan chalk paint.
  • Day or night, I love this project!

To see more: http://www.martysmusings.net/2013/02/diy-mason-jar-chandelier.html

• All Things Heart and Home
    Love it and what a great tutorial! xo
  • Tammy Lynn Hebert
    Tammy Lynn Hebert Sheppard Afb, TX
    What a cool idea..thanks for sharing
  • The Space Between
    The Space Between Key West, FL
    Marty's Musings this is so awesome!! I love the color you painted it, too!!
  • Debby Boyle
    Debby Boyle Necedah, WI
    I bet. I'm going to have my husband Dennis make one for the cazebo.
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Thanks Debby Boyle. It is so fun in our kitchen!
  • Debby Boyle
    Debby Boyle Necedah, WI
    I love the chandelier. What a great idea & cheap! Love that!!!!
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Jeanette S That would be pretty! Let me know if you make one!
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Jeanette S We thought about using that same color, too, but decided to stick with the clear for pure light since this is in the kitchen (where we do school and everything else!) I'd love to see it if you go that route!
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I just remembered....mason jars come in a light bluish green color...wouldn't those be stunning in a light?
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Marcia S thanks for the question. We actually have a dimmer switch on the chandelier which allows us to adjust the lighting, but we have kept it on full practically all day and
  • Marcia S
    Marcia S Florissant, MO
    I'm not contradicting the post about the jar being able to take the heat because it is boiled before canning because I've never conducted any testing but this is contained heat and it would seem it would get mighty warm and close t hot..Marty,have you
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Thanks Jeanette S. You are exactly right about the heat. I asked my husband the same thing. I love mason jars in each shape or form!
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    This is just too much! OK one of you youngsters...open up a shop selling nothing but re-purposed Mason jars! HT has featured them for just about everything! Love all of the ideas, but this one takes the cake. Since Mason jars can be used in
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Thanks so much!
  • Patricia Hinshaw
    Patricia Hinshaw Trinity, NC
    happy anniversary
Marty's Musings