Mason Jar Chandelier

Diy 02.22.15
#BeforeandAfter #favoriteroom #Recycle #LightingIdeas #BudgetUpgrade #LookforLess
My DIY hubby did a great job of taking a throw away 10-light brass chandelier with shades and turning it into a beautiful mason jar chandelier and anchor piece for our kitchen redo.
The little platforms around the fake candles were the perfect size to accommodate the rings for the mason jars (clear quart size). He began by hot gluing the rings upside down onto the platforms. Painter's caulk was used to smooth out the transition between ring and platform and a 40-watt chandelier bulb was chosen to eliminate any heating concerns.
He applied an aerosol primer over everything (minus jars) first and then top-coated with a gloss white aerosol. Next, and probably messiest part, was caulking around the rings. The accent color (Annie Sloan chalk paint leftover from our china hutch project) was 2 coats of paint applied to the rings and arms. The perfect last touch was adding a dimmer switch for lighting variations. Score one for my hubby Tim!
Stop by my blog to see a precise tutorial on my new favorite project!
Cost: $30 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://www.martysmusings.net/2013/02/diy-mason-jar-chandelier.html

• Pappawtim
    Pappawtim Summersville, WV
    I have a lot of the blue jars
  • Gilbert | upcycleDZINE
    Fantastic upcycle project. Those jars give such a nice and warm light!
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Thank you Gilbert | upcycleDZINE! It was a terrific project and the only thing I miss is our ceiling fan but it was a good tradeoff!
  • Mary C
    Mary C Reddick, FL
    i wonder if Mason will start reproducing the pretty blue jars now that "smart" and "creative" people have discovered a new use, one that is so very pretty, for these long by beauties..... :)
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Mary C You can buy blue mason jars now. I've seen them at craft stores and online as well. They're a bit more expensive, but I guess they've been watching all these projects!
  • Mary C
    Mary C Reddick, FL
    oh wow...yes, they are....where there is money to be made, they will return to it....kindof takes the fun out of our hunt....i love your hubby...he is sooooo sweet to have made this for you.. :) i know u love him too!!!!!!!! :) tell him thanks from
  • Donna
    Donna Navasota, TX
    What a great Idea! Thanks for sharing it with us!
  • Eileen Blass
    Eileen Blass Catawissa, PA
    Eileen B Catawissa, PA

I love this idea. Gonna do but I'm gonna spray paint to look like rust. Great idea!!

• Lynn Johnson-Lynch
    Lynn Johnson-Lynch Montgomery, AL
    I'm affraid they might get too hot,ventilation? Thoughts?
    • Marty's Musings
      Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
      Lynn Johnson-Lynch We have kept our light on all day before and the jars do not even get hot to the touch. The jars are used to intense heat when used for canning so we have never had a problem with it.
  • Mary C
    Mary C Reddick, FL
    Marty's Musings .....is this a concern that one should have....have you noticed any great heat with yours? i was thinking that even if this did become a problem, perhaps some small holes could be placed in the lid so the heat would not build up....
    • Marty's Musings
      Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
      Mary C I'm just going to copy how I responded to another recent commenter: We have kept our light on all day before and the jars do not even get hot to the touch. The jars are used to intense heat when used for canning so we have never had a problem with it.
  • Jan Remling
    Jan Remling Sheboygan, WI
    Does the heat ever build up in the jar because it's enclosed?
    • Marty's Musings
      Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
      Jan Remling No, it doesn't. If you think about it the jars are made to withstand extreme heat as canning jars. We've never had a problem with heat at all.
  • Sharon Albea
    Sharon Albea Lexington, NC
    How will you change the bulbs when one burns out?
  • Mary C
    Mary C Reddick, FL
    so the lids are not super glued, but glued w/a hotgun....and this glue will let go when you go to twist the jar away from the lid....correct....b/c i was thinking the same as sharon, but just figured not to glue the lids.....would it still work if the
  • Mary C
    Mary C Reddick, FL
    ty,,,, :)
  • Nancy
    nancy Las Vegas, NV
    I made a light like these and used the edison bulbs and yes the jars got extremely hot I had to change out the bulbs to the incandescent bulbs which did not look as good as edison. You will have to drill holes somewhere for the heat to escape if you use
Marty's Musings