Hometalk.com

mason jars 04.09.14

Mason Jar Chandelier

#BeforeandAfter #favoriteroom #Recycle #LightingIdeas #BudgetUpgrade
My DIY hubby did a great job of taking a throw away 10-light brass chandelier with shades and turning it into a beautiful mason jar chandelier and anchor piece for our kitchen redo.
The little platforms around the fake candles were the perfect size to accommodate the rings for the mason jars (clear quart size). He began by hot gluing the rings upside down onto the platforms. Painter's caulk was used to smooth out the transition between ring and platform and a 40-watt chandelier bulb was chosen to eliminate any heating concerns.
He applied an aerosol primer over everything (minus jars) first and then top-coated with a gloss white aerosol. Next, and probably messiest part, was caulking around the rings. The accent color (Annie Sloan chalk paint leftover from our china hutch project) was 2 coats of paint applied to the rings and arms. The perfect last touch was adding a dimmer switch for lighting variations. Score one for my hubby Tim!
Stop by my blog to see a precise tutorial on my new favorite project!
Cost: $30 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://www.martysmusings.net/2013/02/diy-mason-jar-chandelier.html

60 Comments Displaying 15 of 60 comments | See Previous
  • Mary C Reddick, FL
    oh wow...yes, they are....where there is money to be made, they will return to it....kindof takes the fun out of our hunt....i love your hubby...he is sooooo sweet to have made this for you.. :) i know u love him too!!!!!!!! :) tell him thanks from
  • Donna Navasota, TX
    What a great Idea! Thanks for sharing it with us!
  • Eileen Blass Catawissa, PA
    Eileen B Catawissa, PA

I love this idea. Gonna do but I'm gonna spray paint to look like rust. Great idea!!

• Lynn Johnson-Lynch Montgomery, AL
    I'm affraid they might get too hot,ventilation? Thoughts?
    • Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
      Lynn Johnson-Lynch We have kept our light on all day before and the jars do not even get hot to the touch. The jars are used to intense heat when used for canning so we have never had a problem with it.
  • Mary C Reddick, FL
    Marty's Musings .....is this a concern that one should have....have you noticed any great heat with yours? i was thinking that even if this did become a problem, perhaps some small holes could be placed in the lid so the heat would not build up....
    • Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
      Mary C I'm just going to copy how I responded to another recent commenter: We have kept our light on all day before and the jars do not even get hot to the touch. The jars are used to intense heat when used for canning so we have never had a problem with it.
  • Jan Remling Sheboygan, WI
    Does the heat ever build up in the jar because it's enclosed?
    • Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
      Jan Remling No, it doesn't. If you think about it the jars are made to withstand extreme heat as canning jars. We've never had a problem with heat at all.
  • Sharon Albea Lexington, NC
    How will you change the bulbs when one burns out?
  • Mary C Reddick, FL
    so the lids are not super glued, but glued w/a hotgun....and this glue will let go when you go to twist the jar away from the lid....correct....b/c i was thinking the same as sharon, but just figured not to glue the lids.....would it still work if the
  • Mary C Reddick, FL
    ty,,,, :)