When faced with rotten wood ends and you don't need to replace the whole piece of wood, epoxy wood filler is a very

Awesome Remodels 07.09.14
good patch. At $100./gal. it's not cheap but unlike Bondo, the material expands and contracts with the wood, never cracking around the edges. It sands very easily.
  • Designing Home INc.
    Designing Home INc. Marietta, GA
    What about load coming from header to the rotten jack and transfer to the slab or foundation? Is that material load barrier?
  • SawHorse.net
    SawHorse.net Atlanta, GA
    The load from the header should be carried by jack studs below the header. The jamb is held in place by the casing on the interior and exterior and also shims on the sides.
  • Nichter's Home Services Corp
    Yeah, as I see in the photos, the rot was in the door jamb, not the wall framing
  • Designing Home INc.
    Designing Home INc. Marietta, GA
    But guys, if you check the blog made by AK, there is one more picture that shows rotten not jack and even floor plate and some more studs. that's why I was wonder.
  • Nichter's Home Services Corp
    I C

I had not looked at the blog. In a case like that shown in the first photo, I would certainly do some replacing. That one is

• Designing Home INc.
    Designing Home INc. Marietta, GA
    I agree Nichter's Home
  • Jan Britt Interiors
    Jan Britt Interiors Marietta, GA
    Thanks for sharing such good ideas!
  • Peace Painting Co., Inc.
    You're welcome, Jan (:
  • HandyANDY Home Renovations All Repairs, LLC
    It's awesome AK...you're blog is great! I may disagree with the epoxy repair...but that's just me.
  • Jan Britt Interiors
    Jan Britt Interiors Marietta, GA
    Thank you all for all of this good informative information.
  • Jim P
    Jim P Fairburn, GA
    I have a job like this to do. I plan to replace the wood. I bought replacement door jams from Lowe's that are treated. I will use a 2 part reson glue to bond the wood and also biscuits to make sure every thing is lined up. Thanks for the tip of killing
  • Peace Painting Co., Inc.
    That sounds like a good plan, Jim. Be sure to caulk around the bottom well to prevent the same scenario from occuring.
  • Culpepper Carpets and Interiors, Inc.
    I thought you were in the Alps???
  • Margaret M
    I had the rotted wood replaced and then had the door frames wrapped in aluminium. No more problems
  • HomeSpot HQ
    HomeSpot HQ Durham, NC
    Such a cool idea!
Peace Painting Co., Inc.