Hometalk.com

Around the House 03.10.14

DIY - Citrus Infused Vinegar Cleaning Solution

Vinegar is an incredibly powerful liquid. There are almost endless health benefits by using it both inside and outside your body (recipe here, here and here. ) You probably also know it can be used as a replacement for most cleaning solutions and detergents, and because it is so good for your health, it has almost no dangerous side effects. If anything, using vinegar as your goto cleaner can only improve the health of you and your family.

Adding citrus to a vinegar cleaner not only adds a pleasant smell, but it increases the cleaning power. Like many toxic cleaners, citrus helps it cut through grease, destroy molds and bacterias that may be hiding in your house and more. There are recipes out there for mixing vinegar with essential oils to get the same thing, but there's something nice about making it yourself that we just love at our house.

Here is the recipe:1. Fill a one quart mason jar with citrus peels.

2. Cover peels with white vinegar, place lid on jar, shake and allow to sit for 2-3 weeks.

3. Strain the citrus peels out of the vinegar.

Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.simplydixon.com/2013/01/11/citrus-infused-vinegar-cleaning-solution/

24 Comments Displaying 15 of 24 comments | See Previous
  • Barbara Helm Prospect, KY
    Does it help with stains on carpet???
  • I bought some cast iron and a heavy aluminum griddle at an auction, I took the handle off the griddle and put them in my oven during a self cleaning cycle....they came out like new...after reseasoning the cast iron I have the best nonstick cookware you
  • Carol Arney Berrien Springs, MI
    To Barbara: Heres my cleaner for carpet, cause I have many pets.

In a quart spray bottle add about a 1/4-1/2 inch dawn dish soap..(I use the reg blue)

• Lindsay Jackson Hemphill, TX
      Carol Arney The peroxide doesn't damage the color of the carpet? The method I use for pet accidents (especially 'old' ones) is:
    • Carol Arney Berrien Springs, MI
      Lindsay Jackson The peroxide has never damaged the color of my carpet. I use it on everything......
  • I have a jar 'brewing' at all times. Some of my family do not like the smell of the vinegar but it clears rather quickly. No chemical fumes or smell. If I need more umph I use out dated baking powder or baking soda. I do need a cleaner/disinfectant that
  • Sherry LaSota Lakeview, OR
    I can't make it fast enough; so I've decided to just start 'canning' it. I think it works best if you heat it for 3 minutes in the microwave then put on the seal and lid! Just used a few teaspoons today in my favorite microfiber spray mop! Smells so clean.
  • Sheri N Sparks, NV
    Would this recipe be useful for pet accidents too?
  • Lindsay Jackson Hemphill, TX
    Barbara - also for stains on carpet after spraying with whatever cleaner you use, take a terry cloth towel doubled over and lay over the stain... then use your iron on highest steam setting and put down flat on towel, if you iron has a 'burst of steam'
  • Mary Richard Longwood, FL
    Do you dry out the citrus peels prior to letting them soak in the vinegar or use them straight off the fruit?
  • Cathy W Portland, OR
    Ok Mine is "cooking" can't wait to see how it turns out 13 days from now!!! Husband thought I was nuts! Little does he know!!! :)
  • Cathy W Portland, OR
    Lucy,Try the ammonia trick listed here in Home talk! Sharon refered the link to it. It really works!!!
  • I use about an inch of vinegar in an old pickle jar with peals. I let it sit for a few days to a week then strain it in an old spray bottle and fill with water. Now I clean everything with it. I just combined it with baking soda and it cleaned my oven
  • Mary Richard Longwood, FL
    Do you use the peels dry or straight off the fruit?
  • Lindsay Jackson Hemphill, TX
    Straight off the fruit. I get as much of the 'white stuff' off as I can before using them though. I also use Extra Light Virgin Olive Oil and peels to make my own furniture polish.