DIY - Citrus Infused Vinegar Cleaning Solution

cleaning ideas 06.19.15
Vinegar is an incredibly powerful liquid. There are almost endless health benefits by using it both inside and outside your body (recipe here, here and here. ) You probably also know it can be used as a replacement for most cleaning solutions and detergents, and because it is so good for your health, it has almost no dangerous side effects. If anything, using vinegar as your goto cleaner can only improve the health of you and your family.

Adding citrus to a vinegar cleaner not only adds a pleasant smell, but it increases the cleaning power. Like many toxic cleaners, citrus helps it cut through grease, destroy molds and bacterias that may be hiding in your house and more. There are recipes out there for mixing vinegar with essential oils to get the same thing, but there's something nice about making it yourself that we just love at our house.

Here is the recipe:1. Fill a one quart mason jar with citrus peels.

2. Cover peels with white vinegar, place lid on jar, shake and allow to sit for 2-3 weeks.

3. Strain the citrus peels out of the vinegar.

Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.simplydixon.com/2013/01/11/citrus-infused-vinegar-cleaning-solution/

• Mary Richard
    Mary Richard Longwood, FL
    Do you use the peels dry or straight off the fruit?
  • Lindsay Jackson
    Lindsay Jackson Hemphill, TX
    Straight off the fruit. I get as much of the 'white stuff' off as I can before using them though. I also use Extra Light Virgin Olive Oil and peels to make my own furniture polish.
  • Irene jarosz
    Irene jarosz Gurnee, IL
    When u begin to feel sick take one cup boiling water and add to it 1 tablespoon vinegar and 3 tablespoons honey. This was my grandma's cure and we are feeling great after one day of doing this.
  • Cathy W
    Cathy W Portland, OR
    Mary, I use my veg peeler! It does the trick so much that you are getting the EO effect from the thinly slices. After the waiting time is up and you remove the vinegar, shake out peels into veg or plants! They killer weeds and keep the pests out of
  • Ildardaine
    great advice from all of you, thanks!
Jeremy Dixon