Tutorial: Make a Grain Sack Towel with the Citra Solv Transfer Method!

I like that :) 02.23.16
I love using Citra Solv, a cleaning agent, to Transfer Images onto Fabric! This is a step by step Tutorial, showing the process, on a Kitchen Towel. You can download the Printable for free on my Blog.
Time: 10 Minutes Difficulty: Easy
This is the towel that I made, along with a matching place-mat!
Step 1: Make a Mirror image of your transfer and have a toner based copy made of it. You will need to find an older copy machine, to find one with toner. Don't go to the big chains, they all use laser.
Step 2: Secure your image in place, by taping it to your Fabric. I used painters tape. Also, place something under it, that has little give to it, like cardboard or styrofoam.
Apply the Citra Solv cleaner, with a brush, or a cotton ball. Don't over saturate!
Burnish the design with a spoon. Press firmly and evenly. And remove the paper when you're done.
After the fabric/towel dries, go over it with an iron to get the excess citra solv out. (I put a towel done under it, to keep the citra solv off of my ironing board cover)
That's it! It's a nice rustic look! Stop by my blog for more details and to grab the Printable!

To see more: http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/2010/01/crafty-project-grain-sack-kitchen.html

on This Post

• Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells Jackson, GA
    I want to try this. Thanks for sharing the instructions.
  • Tone
    Tone Norway
    how genius! But for a person not familiar with what citra solve is. Its propably something else in norwegian. can you articulate? ;)
  • Kathy R
    Kathy R Sparta, GA
    Love this method - so glad you shared your step by step tutorial!

Kathy

• Karen - The Graphics Fairy
    The Treasured Home Yes, I've washed it in the washing machine and it's fine!
  • The Treasured Home
    The Treasured Home Fair Oaks, CA
    How will the graphic hold up, going through the washing machine? This has been on my list too. I have yet to try it. 'Bout time!
  • Karen - The Graphics Fairy
    Lois Lee Davis, Citra Solv is a cleaning product. Some grocery store chains carry it, and you can nearly always find it at Natural/Health food stores. You can click the link above to go to my blog for more info.
  • Karen - The Graphics Fairy
    Hi Barb V Most likely the problem is with the copier that you used. It must be toner based. All the big guys (Office Max, Staples etc) are using laser now, and that won't work.
  • Lois Lee Davis
    Lois Lee Davis Oriental, NC
    What is Citro Solve and where can you purchase it?? Thanks.
Karen - The Graphics Fairy