DIY: Repurposed Wooden Boxes

p r o j e c t s 11.16.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
When you are known for repurposing old stuff like I am, friends and neighbors become your salvage allies. Nothing like an "emergency call" to rescue discarded goods from a garage, basement or estate sale.
  • Found some old, dinged-up, grimy, dusty handmade wooden boxes. They held hardware in someone's basement for decades ---until I came along and changed their purpose in life :)
  • Turquoise bar/handle (original color!) was salvaged from a vintage deck chair and was simply meant to be reincarnated here.
  • Shutter slats: cleaned, trimmed, some were painted, sanded, glued and nailed. (dabs of glue used only as a temporary hold)
  • First appearance, a little tame. Still needed some zip.
  • A pair of vintage zesters were turned inside out to make handles that wouldn't grate one's palm. The trick was how to attach them.
  • More slats and scrap wood (some with original paint) dress it up.
  • Vertical design application was easier than horizontal.
  • This box was designed to hang on the wall. Note cup hooks on bottom.
  • Recognize these parts?
  • This one was designed to hang vertically on the wall ---it has holes drilled in the back/bottom.
  • I have this thing for hooks ... practical and versatile. But that's another post.

To see more:

• ReCreate Design Co.
  • Sarah
    Sarah Berkeley Springs, WV
    Love those colors and the idea of recycling! Old still looks better than "new" to me!
  • Gayle P.
    Gayle P. Milton, FL
    @Skye,I see your a Cario,Ga. girl. I was born and raised in Thomasville,Ga. a LONG time ago. Love your craft ideas.
  • Judy Parkey
    Judy Parkey Madill, OK
    I have just the box to do this with!
  • Anna Ibarra
    Anna Ibarra San Antonio, TX
    Love all these. I love boxes.

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post