Save on Space by Turning a Bookcase into a Desk! Here's How!

A couple of years ago we decided our son was in need of a desk in his room but we were a bit short on space. So I took his existing bookcase and converted it to a desk while still keeping the shelves available for books and other storage. It was so easy to do! ~Vanessa

#ProudestDIY #Love2Repurpose

Time: 2 Days Cost: $40 Difficulty: Moderate
  • Bookcase Before: The shelf you see stayed in place so that the wood for the desk piece could be attached.
  • I had a piece of plywood cut to size, careful to measure to the appropriate depth for comfortable leg room. Then, it was attached using wood glue to the the shelf. Be sure you adjust the shelf to the right height!
  • I attached small square pieces of wood to the underside of the "desk" and then used spindles as the legs.
  • I then had a piece of plexi-glass cut to size to go over the top so that my son could put photos and postcards underneath and also protect the surface.
  • Bernice H
    Bernice H New York, NY
    This is so creative and affordable! Good job! I will definitely keep this in mind! Also will send it to my friends .
  • Linda Fraine
    Linda Fraine Naples, FL
    love it!!
  • Tudyrunningwater
    Tudyrunningwater Montour Falls, NY
    very nice
  • Sandy
    Sandy Urich, MO
    What a wonderful idea! My Granddaughter lives with me and space is a huge problem, your project maybe one of our answers! Thank you!
  • Karen
    Karen Port Saint Lucie, FL
    So glad to see this done as I've been thinking of doing the same thing to add a desk to a very small space and wall just inside my laundry room. But I plan to make the desk surface fold up or down on hinges, so that when not in use, we can get by! Wish I
At The Picket Fence

Search Feedback