Hometalk.com

Around the House 02.10.13

How Do I Level A Painted Surface?

I needed to scrape and peel away some ceiling paint that lost it's adhesion in the bathroom. I didn't need to do the whole ceiling but because I didn't, You can see the jagged edges of the old paint layer versus the new paint layers. Without having to scrape and take all of the paint off the surface, can I level things off by continuing to put coats of paint in the areas that I scraped off to eventually be level with the original paint layer?
5 Comments Displaying 5 of 5 comments
  • Jeff you have a tricky issue here. It appears that the surface of the ceiling is a knock down type of texture of some sort. Any patching will show up as the new finish will not hide any of the repair. Unless it is just the texture left from the rolling
  • Jeff C Broadview Heights, OH
    Seems like it would have been much easier and less time consuming if I would have just scraped all the paint away on the ceiling. Ughh. BTW, there is no texture that was on the ceiling. It was just smooth paint. What you see in the picture is after I
  • Ok, simply float out using a wide blade knife some spackle and let it dry over night. Longer the better. Once dry sponge sand it with a very damp almost wet sponge and smooth out edges, prime those areas and Paint.
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Skim coat with some drywall mud, allow to dry...texture to match them prime and paint.
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    We found the walls a mess when we removed wallpaper in a half bath. We used texture paint because I did not want the mess of sanding! I LOVE IT! Bead board was used on the bottom which I have seen on ceilings too. Then add a bold molding and accents in
  • Likes

Joel Barron Carol L