Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 02.26.14

The Best Grout Removal Tools for Shower Tile Floors

Who else has tried cleaning their shower grout but just can't get it back to looking brand new?

Maybe I'm giving up prematurely but I've tried several tips. Plus some of our grout is falling apart.

Thus I've taken on the uneviable project of removing all the grout in our shower tile floor.

What's the best grout removal tool for this job?

An oscillating multi tool and a rectangular grout removal tool will help you remove grout lines without losing your cool (or hair, unless you're already bald-sorry).

Here are some tips

-Apply two layers of duct tape along surfaces you don't want to scratch with the tools

-Use a grout attachment with the oscillating tool

-Measure the width of your grout lines to determine the correct multi tool attachment size

Time: 8 Hours Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/best-grout-removal-tools-for-tile-shower-floors/

10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    This is probably a very ignorant question, but what do you do once you remove the grout? Don't you need it?
  • Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for asking Miriam, you have to regrout.

In a prior post I discussed trying to thoroughly clean this grout. Some areas came back to life and looked like new while

• Becky J Troy, IL
    my question is: we had the bathroom floor done in November. They used a caulk that looked like the grout around the tub, on the floor. (the space between tub & tile) I noticed yesterday that the caulk is separating now. I guess the tub has movement which
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    Yes, thank you so much! Good to know about epoxy grout. Looking forward to seeing you results!
  • Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Becky, I feel your pain. We recently installed an acrylic tub in one of our rental homes. Acrylic tubs expand and contract a lot more than cast iron or steel.
  • Becky J Troy, IL
    ok, thanks!
  • Mark Potter Salt Point, NY
    I always use silicone around tubs & floors that meet with the walls it will last longer. These are areas that dont get grouted and the groutable calk never lasts.
  • Cheryl M Freeport, ME
    I have this tool ad have used it for everything.Well worth the money.We are building a house so have used it for grout,wood,sheetrock and will continue to experiment on other projects.
  • Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks Cheryl for letting me know I made a good purchase. I've always heard great things about Bosch but this is my first tool from them. I usually go with Rigid but my brother has this same multi tool and loves it.
  • Troy Milana Las Vegas, NV
    I have to do this job as well with tile just like yours is the tool and process the same for epoxy grout? I had a similar attachment and it did not last to long I will look for the one you show. Also is it normal for water to seep out of the grout lines