Here's what's cookin' in Brooklyn: French press coffee and homemade brine pickles.

11.06.11
  • The white crock is covered in cloth so it can breathe.
  • What you are seeing is the big jar of water that is a weight holding the veg down under the brine.
  • This is the cabbage and spices in brine. In 3 weeks it will be delicious homemade pickled cabbage.
  • Chaya K
    Chaya K New York, NY
    I learned how to make pickles from Hometalk writer Jordan Laio. He actually gave me the stoneware crock as a wedding gift. So I'd say that pickling is a Hometalk family activity. Want to learn how? Here's the recipe I use: http://www.networx.com/blog/diy-kitchen-live-...
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    My grandparents ( on my mom's side) were avid gardeners...I fondly remember a pantry full of all manners of canned things from the garden. Tomatoes, beans, peas, beets, squash, corn....and pickles. Being depression era farm folks most of their
Chaya K