DIY Painted Bathtub

Diy 7 days ago

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I just finished painting my bathtub a couple of days ago. I used Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit, and it's still curing (you're not supposed to get water on it for three days), but the paint seems very durable. Of course, it IS paint, so it won't last forever, but I think this is a very good solution if you want a somewhat easy fix for an ugly, outdated tub, and don't quite have the budget for a complete replacement. More details (including a video) at the link below.
Time: 8 Hours Cost: $125.00 Difficulty: Moderate
  • This bathtub is 30+ years old, and has seen many renters come and go before we bought our condo. It was stained, but didn't have any cracks or chips, so I decided to paint rather than replace.
  • The bathtub with it's new shiny bright white paint. I couldn't get the two drains off, so I just painted right over them.
  • The first coat of paint going on. You can see how dingy and drab the color of the tub was compared to the bright white paint.

To see more:

• Connie Nikiforoff Designs
    For those of you wondering whether this product can or cannot be used on specific types of tubs, surrounds, etc. go to Rustoleum's website. There will be that information and an MSDS sheet for all their products.
  • Trudy
    Trudy Millersville, PA
    I hope that works for you better than it did for me. I did this to a cast iron tub and followed all the directions VERY CAREFULLY! It started peeling off within months. Five years later it is so hideous I'm embarassed for anyone to sue that bathroom.
  • Donna Williams
    Donna Williams Shortsville, NY
    I am w/ Trudy on this tub painting. My husband did a cast iron tub and it looked just beautiful at first, then it started yellowing an peeling. Looks nasty now!
  • Cathy Huffman Dillard
    Cathy Huffman Dillard Winston Salem, NC
    I wouldn't try this...if you look at the before and after can tell it's not the same tub. The fixtures don't match up. It might be a good quick fix if you're trying to sell your house and you want it to look good temporarily.
  • Marianne Fredricks
    Marianne Fredricks Allendale, MI
    I tried this and it didn't hold up well.

I had a professional tub refinisher strip it down and do it "right".

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post