DIY Painted Bathtub

07.11.15
I just finished painting my bathtub a couple of days ago. I used Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit, and it's still curing (you're not supposed to get water on it for three days), but the paint seems very durable. Of course, it IS paint, so it won't last forever, but I think this is a very good solution if you want a somewhat easy fix for an ugly, outdated tub, and don't quite have the budget for a complete replacement. More details (including a video) at the link below.
Time: 8 Hours Cost: $125.00 Difficulty: Moderate
  • This bathtub is 30+ years old, and has seen many renters come and go before we bought our condo. It was stained, but didn't have any cracks or chips, so I decided to paint rather than replace.
  • The bathtub with it's new shiny bright white paint. I couldn't get the two drains off, so I just painted right over them.
  • The first coat of paint going on. You can see how dingy and drab the color of the tub was compared to the bright white paint.

To see more: http://www.addicted2decorating.com/bathroom-makeover-day-11-how-to-paint-a-bathtub.html

• HappyNanaSTLMO
    HappyNanaSTLMO Saint Louis, MO
    Wow, your took looks so gorgeous after the paint! I'm also wondering how it stands up over time, but even more important, I'm wondering how safe it is to take a bath in a tub that's been painted with this paint? And I'm wondering the same thing if Turtle
  • Rebecca Brennan
    I did this but had no idea about it and my effort looks terrible in comparison...... Any ideas how to strip it off and try again. I've got drip marks and its just not even..... Been looking at it for 2 years now hating it but now I know where I went
  • Barbara Manco
    Barbara Manco Middletown, NY
    My son did this about a month ago but the floor in the tub keeps getting indented by a shower chair and needing touch up.. sink and counter done too, I love the clean look!
  • Connie Nikiforoff Designs
    For those of you wondering whether this product can or cannot be used on specific types of tubs, surrounds, etc. go to Rustoleum's website. There will be that information and an MSDS sheet for all their products.
  • Trudy
    Trudy Millersville, PA
    I hope that works for you better than it did for me. I did this to a cast iron tub and followed all the directions VERY CAREFULLY! It started peeling off within months. Five years later it is so hideous I'm embarassed for anyone to sue that bathroom.
Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating