Mosaic Tile Floor Transition

04.28.16
Have you ever had an awkward flooring transition that you simply didn't know what to do with it?
Background: I had a water leak in my kitchen and had to get new flooring. I chose wood-look tile, which I love and thought about extending it in to the dining room...but the quote was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time.
Imagine my surprise when I found the same tile on clearance 2 months later! I decided to just tackle this project on my own and save even more.
My tile guy was not on my good list because he stopped the tile right at the door opening for my dining room. So I debated on putting a piece of tile across the transition, but decided I wanted to make it a little more "me"... Especially when I saw this great mosaic tile at Home Depot.
I simply measured and cut the tile into strips that matched with the transition area in my floor.
The result??
I love it!
UPDATE:
There have been several comments about not using glass mosaic tiles on floors. I would NEVER use these over an entire floor, they could potentially be slippery. These particular tiles are thick, so as of now, I am not too worried about them cracking because this are does not get a lot of traffic. If they do, I will update everyone. For now, they are perfect (for me). :)
Have you ever had a difficult floor transition to work with? What did you do?
Want to see more pictures of the transition?

To see more: http://mrsdoitherself.com/2015/09/mosaic-tile-floor-transitions/

on This Post

• Julie C
    Julie C Greeneville, TN
    that's brilliant thinking...love it!
  • Bonnie
    bonnie Canada
    Love your idea and wish I could do the same but the area I would like to do IS a high traffic area...bummer.
  • Barbara Lowell
    Barbara Lowell Island Grove, FL
    I did this also with tumbled stone about 12 years ago going from my lanai to my FRONT door. It held up fine, except the grout came loose twice and I rerouted two of the stones. I even painted over it when I changed my color scheme. There are no rules for
  • Barbara Lowell
    Barbara Lowell Island Grove, FL
    oops sorry wrong post, please ignore above comment, meant for another blog.
  • Debby
    Debby Bonita Springs, FL
    What a great idea:) Thanks
  • Wanday
    Wanday Brownsville, KY
    I LOVE this!! Hey you just may have a shark tank idea here!!! RUN WITH IT!! lol
  • Swearnot
    I love this idea! Thanks
  • Karen Coty
    Karen Coty Ellenburg Depot, NY
    Love it!!!
  • Lynne Krywulycz
    Lynne Krywulycz Australia
    Clever idea.
  • Jenni
    Jenni Omaha, NE
    I just picked up quite a few samples from a paint store. They carry flooring too.

This will be fun.

• Msdesertaz
    Great idea - is this picture the finished transition?
  • Vera
    Vera Canada
    Totally amazing idea....
  • Vera
    Vera Canada
    Totally an amazing idea.....
  • Susan Dossi
    Susan Dossi Australia
    Love this. I have the perfect spot for it. And I thought I had some brilliant ideas! Would never have thought of it - well, maybe, eventually.
  • Susanne Boyd
    Susanne Boyd Jacksonville, TX
    This totally excites me. SO ready to be done with our remodel.
  • Tammi Smeznik-Hildreth
    good job ... ,,i have a saw..i may do this myself as i am planning to change out the backsplash and may put a small amount down.thanks
  • Barb
    Barb Waterford, MI
    This is absolutely beautiful!! Doorjambs don't get a lot of walking on so I would not be afraid to do this. It adds just a hint of surprise and I love it.
  • Robin Burnham-Moynihan
    Robin Burnham-Moynihan Northborough, MA
    I can't wait to do this to my kitchen transitions!
  • Aamanda Lynn Trant
    Aamanda Lynn Trant The Colony, TX
    We did our entire shower floor in glass tiles. So glad I didn't listen to the employees at HD. Going on 1 yr and holding up great.
Karrah @ Mrs Do It Herself