Hometalk.com

Backyard Escapes 03.28.14

The Perfect Piece for a Porch

This time of year in North Carolina is such a tease. Sunny days that touch 60 (and sometimes 70) degrees leave me with a raging case of spring fever. But then the reality of winter returns and spring seems light years away. To quell my #itching4Spring, I'm revisiting a piece I completed last year. I revamped an old desk into a potting bench/porch serving piece/jack of all trades for outdoor living. The desk got a coat of paint in a happy color and some vintage hardware for its drawers. A heavy sanding and some fun accessories and it makes the perfect spot for pots, soil and lots of flowers. It would fit right in on a covered porch with drinks cooling in a galvanized bucket and cocktail napkins in its drawers. It's the perfect piece to celebrate spring on the porch.

To see more: http://www.storywooddesigns.com/2012/05/13/jack-of-all-trades/

5 Comments Displaying 5 of 5 comments
  • Kathy Elizabeth Charleston, SC
    I live in Charleston, SC. So I can totally relate to the mixture of spring like days, with winter ones..:) I love your potting bench piece/server ! It is a perfect project, for our large Southern Porch (where we do most of our entertaining) ! :)
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    This is such a wonderful idea. I've seen many repurposed potting benches, but I've actually never seen a desk before!
  • So creative, Love it.
  • Storywood Designs Raleigh, NC
    Thank you Kathy Elizabeth! I would love to have the big Southern porch... My mom has one and it's our favorite place to spend time. We have the screened porch, though and we practically
  • Storywood Designs Raleigh, NC