After pulling up and purging that staircase carpet, I stared at a bare nail infested
staircase waiting to be beautiful...
Certainly glad to post only finishing photos as this project had some messy moments. It's now a real treat enroute to the entertainment room or bedroom.
After pulling up the carpet, I had no idea what I'd do for a new look but granted myself unlimited creative license. Certainly had the energy reserve for it!
I hand formed all tiles from portland cement and carved out with a dremel tool. Thank God for Dremel or I'd be finding another hobby real quick! I simply pour half-inch thick layers of cement on boards, allow drying for thirty minutes and carving out the basic shape or design. Once fully dry, I further carve and detail the pieces with a dremel tool.
For steps, backer or cement board applied to face of each step before applying mortar for tile and grout. I used a pre-mixed nutmeg colored tile grout. After securing tile with mortar, huge amounts of mortar filled in tile surrounding surfaces. Once dry, I used several layers of semi-gloss sealer to lock it in and bring out the colors.
The staircase wall was covered with a thin layer of mortar to create a rough surface. Two more very thin layers applied with finishing detail. No tools were successfully used in creating this effect other than my bare hands. Yes, it came down to just using my hands. The gloves also had to go, as they would not hold up very long before tearing. Once the icicle effect was completed, I hot glued the glass beads and finished the wall with several layers of sealer.
The connecting kitchen bar was done like the stair steps. However, I combined wood and hand formed cement tiles on the face of the bar. The bar top is stepping stone and glass tile. I've used the same techniques into the kitchen and onto the fireplace.
Now I'll take a week break before completing finishing touches. Hopefully these photos will provide a glimpse of my desperately needed change. Enjoy!
Other projects about home http://www.hometalk.com/cfuh8s3qsd/posts
I designed this wall art thinking about the colors of Autumn leaves. I dried and cleaned the coffee filters. I dyed them in orange, red, green and yellow with acrylic paint water based. Among the leaves you see the branches that have the brown and natural stained color of the coffee. (www.etsy.com/shop/lampada)
Commented on Nov 18, 2012
Sure! Always glad to share ideas. I chuckled when I saw your genius application of those
coffee filters as I've used coffee grounds for my projects. Love what you've done with this beautiful piece. I've applied used coffee grounds to my paints and cement mixes! I have photos of my fireplace in y profile here that used coffee grounds on the surface. Once sealed, it created a rustic aged look I couldn't achieve with other mediums. The first application of coffee grounds is mixed with Elmers clear glue and mixed into a paste which I apply to areas that need to be aged a century or so. Once dry and sealed with a satin clear gloss coat it gives it a very organic and appearance. With my hand held pottery/vessels, the grounds give it that organic look and feel. Mindblowing!