It's funny sometimes how something so simple can make such a big difference. These homemade garden screens are now a favourite accessory in my garden.
I first start using them to keep the squirrels and birds from dining in my veggie beds. Not only did they work but the fine mesh screen kept the moths out too! From there I realized I could also use them as vine supports, and to support winter covers over my raised beds (I grow veggies throughout the year). Lots of uses from one item!
Many crops are self-pollinating and can remain covered (lettuces, legumes, spinach...) but for those that benefit from insect pollination, just remove the covers once the plants are well-established.
There's a complete material list and instructions on my blog. You can make them without any power tools and it's simple to do. And better yet, the squirrels won't thank you! http://www.empressofdirt.net/most-useful-gar...
I had so much fun putting my "Polatems" together. I collected beautiful pots and plates from Goodwill and garage sales. I dug a hole 12" deep intserted a piece of rebar, which can be purchased at a hardware store in any length of your choice. Fill the hole with concrete. Level the rebar to make it straight. Once the concrete dries..overnight is good, start putting the pots and plates onto the rebar in an artistic order, gluing them as you go..I used glass glue from the hardware
store, it comes in a caulking tube. Use a level to keep each pot or plate straight. You can add pieces in the middle such as a metal dish from an old firepit as a planter or even a terricotta planter. Just be creative. Top it off with a glass ball, a ceramic bird or whatever suits you fancy. There you have it ...Enjoy and watch the birds..even the Hummers like the colors.
I've always dreamed of having a canopy bed...somewhere along the way it switched from "pink and frilly" to "neutral and junky". I am very happy with how it turned out.
My engineer husband very securely attached the brackets to the walls and the old ladder to the brackets...no worries :) Then I draped 2 matching painters drop cloths over 2 of the rungs of the ladder. That's it...easy!