We built our home in 1985. In 2000 DIY hubby laid ceramic tile directly over cheap vinyl flooring in our two baths, kitchen, dining room and laundry room. We went with a light tile, but
for some reason I wanted the grout to be dark. My thinking was that it would hide stains on the grout and help each tile to "stand out". At the time it was a large improvement over the damaged sheet vinyl. Over time, however, the dark brown grout discolored or became "hazy" in places and it just always looked "dirty".
I first became aware of the ability to "paint" grout lines on that wonderful, informative, inspirational tool: Pinterest. After some research I located and purchased Polyblend's Grout Renew in Antique White (#10246) at Home Depot. See for yourself the transformation from "ugly, dirty" grout to a renewed, clean floors!
The Polyblend Grout Renew is a "colorant and sealer" all in one. Each grout line must be painted individually and dries very quickly. The instructions say to use a toothbrush, but I used a medium stiff small stencil brush (or two). My grout was sanded and it "ate" the brushes. You must take care to wipe the product off of any surface that you do not want colored before it dries. I did do a second coat on each of my grout lines for coverage. I painted a section, wiped off any excess, moved on to another section and then backed up to the previous section with a second coat, wiping off excess and then moved forward, until the job was completed. A very tedious process, but well worth it! I used a little over 1/2 bottle of grout renew on two baths. Cost per bottle is approximately $12.00!
These pictures were from a guest bathroom. I've already completed the master bath. The baths had 6x6 tile. Now I move on to the 12x12 tile in the kitchen, dining room and laundry room.
Make your own dog shampoo that is better for your dog and inexpensive! These are the three main ingredients: 1) 1 cup generic brand uncolored antibacterial liquid hand soap 2) 1/4 cup glycerin (found in the pharmacy section near the rubbing alcohol) 3) 1 cup white vinegar. Mix all ingredients in two quarts of warm water (I use an empty apple juice bottle) and pour it over your dog. I still use baby shampoo for her face and do not get this mix in her eyes or ears. It pours on, soaks in,
suds up and rinses off much better than any other dog shampoo I have ever used. The antibacterial hand soap kills any bacteria on the dogs skin (which is what makes them smell "doggy"), the vinegar balances the ph in their skin so they don't get flakey and itchy and the glycerine makes their coat soft and shiny. I've been using it for a couple of years and it is the best! As soon as my dog sees me mixing it up she gets into the bathtub and waits for her massage and bath.
Commented on Feb 14, 2013
Thanks for the shampoo recipe. I think I'll they it next bath time. Wonder if it works with
non antibacterial soap.
One possible culprit for smelly, itchy dogs is plastic. Don't feed or water dogs in plastic bowls, especially non human plastic. A lot of dogs have a really bad reaction. One reason is that plastic made for animals doesn't have as many restrictions on chemicals and all plastic leaches chemicals, even plastics made for people. (bpa etc) Try using glass or metal bowls and you may solve a lot of problems.
We considered replacing the mirror altogether, but decided to go the less expensive route first and see how long it would buy us.
*Questions and unexpected events that arose during the project:
I didn't know how well the mirror was attached to the wall. I also didn't know how well my adhesive would adhere to the mirror and trim.
* Cost Comments:
1"x4" MDF (32 ft) - $20
1/2 birch plywd - $15
Trim (40 ft) - $20
Crown (3 ft) - $4.50
Lights - $60
*My motivation to do this project:
The mirror was large and an eye sore. We wanted something a little nicer.
The first step was to replace the single light fixture with matching twin ones. I ran the wiring, secured the boxes and mounted the new lights. This was required due to the shelving unit. I then measured out the surface and determined the size of the shelving unit. Then I purchased the materials and started designing as I cut. The shelving unit was assembled and attached first. It was ~2 inches higher than the mirror and secured to a stud to help support the mirror against the wall. The trim and molding was measured, cut and secured using GOOP adhesive and tape to hold in place until it was dry.
Don't assume the mirror is attached to the wall well enough to hold the additional weight. Make sure it is supported fully.
Do measure twice and cut once.
Wood, MDF, Trim - $0.00
Light fixtures - $0.00
Commented on Oct 06, 2012
Thank you very much for the reply :) You really did a nice job.