I may have mentioned a few - or a million - times how much I love my living room couch. Well, after two years of lovin', my beloved couch was starting to show some wear. The notorious
mystery spots were starting to appear and some wrinkles and sags were forming in the cushions. Time to start Mission: Couch Rejuvenation ...
Commented 2 days ago
Kimberly McManus Mathis, check your phone book for upholstery supplies. I have tried beefing
up the seat cushions before with the quilt batting and it works IF your foam isn't in to bad a condition. If the foam is really compressed, I have tried several different things and now I just save myself a lot of time and headache and just buy new foam. Some places will cut the foam to your measurements and others you just have to take it home and cut it yourself ( an electric carving knife is the best way to cut it). It is a little more cost than just the batting, but I have been very happy with the results and it is much less expensive than having it done. If your cushions are spring type, if you want to and feel comfortable doing it, you can retie your springs. I used to do this, but now, I take them in and have them redone. Just easier on my nerves and hands. That is what happens when you get old, :) Good luck.
p.s. there are also special boards things that you can buy and just slip them in under the cushions. I just have never tried them.
I love Amish furniture and fell in love with an entertainment center recently. The $3200 price was way out of my budget. Since I had some Amish made pieces that I already was using for my
"entertainment center" but it was just plain black and boring so I decided to take it up a notch. I purchased a wood shelf to place betwen the bookcase units, then added shelf brackets to the top of the fronts to give it more style. My husband installed undercabinet LED lights on the shelves. I found solid wood raised panel doors online for $12 each. After it was put together I trimmed the top with carved molding and added a few other pieces of molding for additional detail. I then painted it with Freshaire organic paint (no longer available) in Midsummer Gold that I had leftover from another project and after a few days used Valspar Burnt Umber glaze to give it an antique look. This was my first attempt at glazing but certainly won't be my last. The total cost was around $120 and I couldn't be more pleased.
So simple, so easy! I have been trying to tackle the messy job of chipping veneer off pieces to re finish them and what a pain in the hiney! I thought of an idea, and while I was testing
the theory, I asked our lovely facebook followers their favorite method. Well, pretty much everyone said either using a wet towel and an iron ( which wrecks both the iron and towel) OR use a heat gun - (which would then have the fumes from the adhesive floating up in your face - or house and then requires use of masks and such) SO Here you go. Very easy - SOAK a towel so it is dripping wet in a mixture of half water and half vinegar. Place it on the veneer. Have a girls night out and let it soak over night. Make sure it is SOAKING wet. I even went back later and used a water bottle and just poured it right onto the towel to make sure it was soaked! Come back in the morning and use a putty knife or chisel and it will peel up like butter! #StrippingVeneer
To see more creative ways to tackle repurposing projects - visit us at http://www.facebook.com/gypsybarn