When a friend was redoing an older home, he gave us a few exterior moldings from above his windows. I painted, distressed and stenciled three of them and used them to make a display of
our children's photos. I used inexpensive frames but painted them all alike, using solid, plain ones for our son and more detailed ones for our daughter. The baby pictures start at the bottom of the stairs and they go up to their high school pictures at the top. The stairs lead up to their rooms. They are grown now and our son has moved away. He enjoyed showing this to his fiance the first time she visited. I think both kids like showing their gallery of childhood photos. They also like to point and laugh at how goofy they think the other one looks.
I knew we "needed" a chandelier for the pergola my dear sweet husband got me for Mother's Day but where could I find what I wanted.... it had to be made of old materials and crystals. A quick trip through the garage reminded me that we had a stack of old tomato cages which had not been put to use as of yet. In fact my original purpose for them was to set them in our old cement planters upside down and drape them in tiny Christmas lights for the winter. Well here it was early summer
and they still sat.... old, slightly bent from years of use and just the perfect patina!
The ends were cut down with bolt cutter and bent over to form the top. A spool of old wire was woven in and out around the body to form a cage of sorts. More wire was added to the top for reinforcement. Old crystals and yard sale beads were wired on. The hanging fixture (available at Lowe's) was screwed in place, spray painted to blend in and then the fixture was hung under the protective covering of our pergola. An Edison bulb was added to further enhance the aged appearance. The cord was plugged in, the switch was "thrown"... instant ambiance!
My husband and I replaced our old solid wood garage door and I knew the sections were at risk of heading off to the dump in my husband's truck if i didn't come up for a use for them! I
wanted more outdoor seating so I decided to create a large outdoor bench using two of the better sections. I used the one section for the top and then divided the other section in thirds and used them as the "legs". I then scraped the loose paint and used a heat gun to remove some more. I wanted some of the paint to stay since it really made it look weathered. I gave it a good sanding and then added some wax to help it hold up just for this summer. I am trying to find some marine polyurethane so I can really seal it well. I added some pillows which just makes it really comfortable and we use it all the time!
Update: I sealed this with Helmsman Outdoor Polyurethane and it has held up well.
You can see the full post on it's transformation at http://reposhture.blogspot.com/2012/07/garag...
I've seen a lot of these towers (and made them for others) out of clay pots, but decided to make mine out of old buckets and a tub.
HOW IT'S MADE: Cut a piece of rebar the height of your tower plus 12 to 18 inches. Drill offset holes just larger than your rebar in your buckets near the sides. Drill a hole in the center of the bottom tub. Pound a piece of rebar in the ground and thread your buckets over it balancing the buckets on the edges. Be sure and pound the rebar in far enough to hide it with the top bucket and plants. You can pond it in a bit more once your buckets are placed. Place a terra cotta pot upside down in the tub for the bottom bucket to rest on so it doesn't sink into the soil in the tub. Fill the bottoms of each bucket with peanut packing for drainage and to make them lighter. Plant with wave petunias, asparagus fern, vinca and other trailing plants. Watering tip: Water slowly so the soil doesn't wash out of the tilted buckets so your soil doesn't wash out.