Mixing my Christmas decor up from year to year is how I get my kicks ;0) I've got over fifty tubs of stuff, and I rifle through them all to mix, match, and create fresh new looks each
One year, my Holiday decor was all about soft, cozy white. I pulled in lots of everyday items (like glass vases and domes, my white serveware, and some thrifted finds) to mix with my clear glass, white, and ivory decorations. See more on my blog!
Our dining room has gone through quite a few different changes in the last 5 years since we bought our home. Several changes in paint color and cannot countless times the curtains have
been changed. The dining room set we had never quite fit, it always over powered the room. I found my new dining room for $25 and the dresser was free! The before and afters are posted on my blog, it was a lot of work but so much fun to do!
We considered replacing the mirror altogether, but decided to go the less expensive route first and see how long it would buy us.
*Questions and unexpected events that arose during the project:
I didn't know how well the mirror was attached to the wall. I also didn't know how well my adhesive would adhere to the mirror and trim.
* Cost Comments:
1"x4" MDF (32 ft) - $20
1/2 birch plywd - $15
Trim (40 ft) - $20
Crown (3 ft) - $4.50
Lights - $60
*My motivation to do this project:
The mirror was large and an eye sore. We wanted something a little nicer.
The first step was to replace the single light fixture with matching twin ones. I ran the wiring, secured the boxes and mounted the new lights. This was required due to the shelving unit. I then measured out the surface and determined the size of the shelving unit. Then I purchased the materials and started designing as I cut. The shelving unit was assembled and attached first. It was ~2 inches higher than the mirror and secured to a stud to help support the mirror against the wall. The trim and molding was measured, cut and secured using GOOP adhesive and tape to hold in place until it was dry.
Don't assume the mirror is attached to the wall well enough to hold the additional weight. Make sure it is supported fully.
This was a simple pillow to make out of painters drop cloth, felt and poms. Cut leaf shapes out of felt or fleece, hot glue in a circle and then fill in with other leaves. Add a few poms for "berries" and you are all set!