Easy Pallet and Glass Coffee Table

$5

Out with the old and in with the new! Our old leather storage ottoman had seen better days. It was time to replace it with a new coffee table. Rather than busting out the credit cards, I decided to make this refreshing coffee table for just a few pennies!
easy pallet and glass coffee table, diy, painted furniture, pallet, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture, woodworking projects
I began with a few pallet boards, an old 4x4 post and a piece of frosted glass I had laying around. The result? An awesome coffee table!
I attached the pallet wood to the 4x4 posts with wood glue and wood screws. I left a recessed area, so the glass could 'sit in' the coffee table, and there would be a lip around the edge.
After sanding the wood smooth, I stained the 4x4 legs with a dark walnut finish and a couple coats of polycrylic. For the pallet boards, I used a natural oil finish. I used these colors to tie into the desk I refinished a couple of months ago: http://www.hometalk.com/8740081/upcycled-old-desk
I added a shelf under the table for extra magazine or book storage. This coffee table really brightened up our living room, compared to the old black leather storage ottoman we had in the middle of the room... and it cost next to nothing!
See the full details on my blog, use the link below!

Andrew @ ScrappyGeek.com

• Edwin StricklandJ

Why can't one see what is in the shadow box?

• Sue

HOW WOULD YOU ATTACH A SHELF JUST UNDER THE GLASS TOP TO DISPLAY ROCKS, STONES, ETC., COLLECTED ON TRIPS?

• Andrew @ ScrappyGeek.com

First, great idea! I would allow a larger lip edge (as seen in the second to last picture) by attaching the boards higher on the legs, place the shelf on top of the legs, put spacers on the shelf and then put the glass on top of the spacers. Hope that helps!