Asked on Sep 9, 2015

Anyone use barn tin for a shower?

Karen KirklandDebra SmithJUDY
+34

I am wanting to redo our shower. Has anyone made a shower out of tin? Was wanting to make shower base, frame up and use tin as the walls? Anyone have any experience with this?? Saw this idea on Pinterest, but wanting to get some hands on suggestions!! Thanks!
Photo from Pinterest
  • S

No, but I always wanted too. The only thing I know is the ends are sharp. So plan carefully where they end up. If the tin is just normal galvanized it will eventually rust. If you don't want that look just spray paint with metal paint. ( after the screws have been put in. You don't want them to rust either) Good luck! I love the idea.

• Dawn

Hi, Shawn

We are looking to do this in an RV. We don't want to use the existing shower pan, but it does fit best. To clarify, did you do the river rock directly to the shower pan?

• Z

Though I think it's sharp looking, no pun intended, and I love the sound on rain on the roof, rain on a tin roof is loud. I would take that into consideration before going ahead with this plan. How close would this shower to be others that may be asleep at the time someone else is taking a shower? Would those taking a shower in it want a calm and quiet relaxing shower? Or would they enjoy the sound and find that relaxing? Personally there would be times when I loved the sound and others when all I wanted was the water quietly soothing achy muscles.

• Swan Road Designs

I can only think of one thing...rust. I should think that would be an issue.

not advisable it will be your worse nightmare

• Barb

I believe if you use corregated galvanized steel it will be coated with zinc which prevents rust.

• Lynn Montgomery Paul

I guess I should have clarified we would be using galvanized metal that should prevent any rust

• Z

I assumed you would, it's the only thing that makes sense. My comments are still something to think about. M'Daddy was a tinner, so I love the look. I just wanted to add somethings to think about before you move forward with the plan. Personally I would love to do this when we finish the bathroom in the basement woodwork shop.

• B. Enne

It's creative...I've seen similar outdoor cottage showers made with this and corrugated plastic. It is easier to repair. If it is well sealed, I guess it could work indoors. Here's a Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxGp3vveqJY

• JM

My grandfather did this year's ago. After several years of use it did begin to corrode and/or rust. I was a child at the time, so memory is fuzzy. I would wonder if soap and perhaps bleach or harsh cleaner contributed to this. If it was dried with a towel after every use, I would think this would last for years. This looks awesome by the way for a truly rustic decor theme!

• Silvan Johnson

I've seen it done by the Junk Gypsies at their B&B, it is a great rustic look....

• Cindy tustin

Galvanized will rust, come look at my barn. Depends on how long you expect it to last. Any place it is standing on a solid surface will be a problem. I like the corrugated plastic can be painted....

• Z

@Yes it will eventually Cindy, if the shower is not completely dried each time, it will do so faster. There's always a chip in the protective cover somewhere.

• Debby Mason Anderson

Yes,coat it with Rainex or some like product to keep soap scum away.

• Shelly Harnagel Burkhart

I love this idea!

• Linda Parrish

The galvanized metal must be sealed with metal sealer, several coats, or you can purchase it already sealed, or painted if you want it painted.

• HouseLogic.com

Corrugated galvanized steel roofing panels are perfect for creating grout-less shower stalls! This post explains how to waterproof them: http://goo.gl/FQgcJv

• Barbara Chase

The metal will rust badly,you will need to put several layers of rust proof paint on it

• Peggy wages

I did mine 5 1/2 years ago, left it rustic plain and love it. I go in about once a month and clean the metal good. It has never rusted and has that worn look to it.

• Peggy wages

Oh sure. You have to take into consideration I love in a tiny house

• Peggy wages

Us ranches, I just put Mr Bubbles on mine and let it do it job about every other week. And clean the bottom just like I do a regular shower stall. It has dulled over the years but no rust or scum. And believe me it gets used daily. Lol

• Ginger Faul Cantrell

We used the galvinized roof panels just like what we have on our roof and they are perfect. No rust, They are made for roofing so they shouldn't rust like the aluminum pans do.

• Kerri Steenbeeke

allow for expansion and make sure you use the metal trim shown in the pic! The only place we had rust was where the cat wee'd when he was ill... so we cut away the lower section at that point and used half height floor tiles (3-4 inches high) - but I was disappointed that we lost the "shine"... although it does still have a 'sheen'...

• Rhonda

How are you sealing at the bottom of the panels so that water doesn't wick up to the backer on the wall and create mold issues?
  • JUDY

I want to put some already somewhat weathered rusted roofing around a bathtub....but my brother insists the metal will sweat and create issues? I love the rustic look but don't want to ruin the house. ( it has enough issues of it's own lol) Pinterest is flooded with photos... this delima is killing me suggestions please

• Debra Smith

Hi I'm getting ready to do two bathrooms with the galvanize steel . As a painter I know before you can paint the metal you have to take vinegar and water and wash the galvanized zinc off of it . then you put a clear seal over it. How about them should be done in about 5 to 6 weeks with the tiling in the galvanized walls so I'll give you an update when I get it done
  • Karen Kirkland

I grew up with galvanized shower and a cement floor. I'm 65 years old and it is still going strong.