Old T-shirt Rug on a Hula Hoop Loom

Weave a rug? Me?
Since I have never done any weaving, crochet, or knitting, this is truly a"if-I-can-do-it-so-can-anyone" project!
I was actually surprised by how quickly the whole piece came together, and how fun and enjoyable the whole process was!
It all started with a trip to Salvation Army! On my first trip, I ended up with a pile of t-shirts the size of an elephant...
Realizing I was totally lost in all the colors, I put them all back except for 3 pieces!!
Second trip : I came prepared - with a color palette I brought! See, colors are like musical notes, the more isn't the better. It's really about harmony!
You will need about 5-7 x-large t-shirts to weave a 30" diameter rug, depending on how many colors.
All the t-shirts were turned into t-shirt yarn. See more about this process at the end.
Take out a hula hoop. Mine is 30" across. Tie the cross piece first, then weave over and under through those cross pieces of yarn. For the first few rounds, weave every 2 cross pieces so it doesn't get too dense at the center.
With a hula hoop as loom, you will need some tape or clips to secure the yarn at the beginning, so it does not shift too much.
Once we get to the end of the last circle of weave, just tie a knot or stitch the last ends to stop any unraveling. Cut the cross yarns and tie a secure knot with every two pieces. Add finishing touches such as tassels and pompoms, all made from t-shirt yarn!
Don't have a hula hoop, you can use cardboard as a loom too! And you might fall in love with a new hobby!
I am sure your rug will be so cozy and pretty! Check out the link below for more details on different looms, and secrets to great t-shirt yarn!

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Everything Red For Canada Day
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
APieceofRainbow

• Em

Aren't the pompoms awkward to walk on?

• Debbie Rose

Where did the cross fit pieces come from? And what happened to the hula hoop?

• Sheri

The hula hoop, or the cardboard as pictured, is just used to hold the "cross pieces". The hula hoop would be removed at the end. The rug would be the same size as the hula hoop as it is constructed inside the hula hoop.

• Kathy

You don't give instructions on what you used for the cross sections - not sure about that whole step. Also - what happens to the hula-hoop when finished?

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

All of our local thrift stores are closed due to COVID-19 and I have eight bags of clothes I was hoping to donate. There are a LOT of old T-shirts in those bags. Now I have something to do with them! Thanks so much!

• Kgaletin

Great project! I think kids would have fun making this rug for their rooms.