Old T-shirt Rug on a Hula Hoop Loom

Weave a rug? Me?
Since I have never done any weaving, crochet, or knitting, this is truly a"if-I-can-do-it-so-can-anyone" project!
I was actually surprised by how quickly the whole piece came together, and how fun and enjoyable the whole process was!
It all started with a trip to Salvation Army! On my first trip, I ended up with a pile of t-shirts the size of an elephant...
Realizing I was totally lost in all the colors, I put them all back except for 3 pieces!!
Second trip : I came prepared - with a color palette I brought! See, colors are like musical notes, the more isn't the better. It's really about harmony!
You will need about 5-7 x-large t-shirts to weave a 30" diameter rug, depending on how many colors.
All the t-shirts were turned into t-shirt yarn. See more about this process at the end.
Take out a hula hoop. Mine is 30" across. Tie the cross piece first, then weave over and under through those cross pieces of yarn. For the first few rounds, weave every 2 cross pieces so it doesn't get too dense at the center.
With a hula hoop as loom, you will need some tape or clips to secure the yarn at the beginning, so it does not shift too much.
Once we get to the end of the last circle of weave, just tie a knot or stitch the last ends to stop any unraveling. Cut the cross yarns and tie a secure knot with every two pieces. Add finishing touches such as tassels and pompoms, all made from t-shirt yarn!
Don't have a hula hoop, you can use cardboard as a loom too! And you might fall in love with a new hobby!
I am sure your rug will be so cozy and pretty! Check out the link below for more details on different looms, and secrets to great t-shirt yarn!

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
APieceofRainbow

• Em
    Em

Aren't the pompoms awkward to walk on?

• Debbie Rose
    Debbie Rose

Where did the cross fit pieces come from? And what happened to the hula hoop?

• Paymetotellyou
      Paymetotellyou

Basically, the crosspieces would be cut or untied from the hula hoop two at a time, and tied together. Then the tufts can be tied to these tied-off parts. But check the blog for detail. Have fun.

• Kathy
    Kathy

You don't give instructions on what you used for the cross sections - not sure about that whole step. Also - what happens to the hula-hoop when finished?

• Paymetotellyou
      Paymetotellyou

Once you figure out what to do with the cross sections at the end, your hula hoop will be freed up for another project.

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns
    Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

All of our local thrift stores are closed due to COVID-19 and I have eight bags of clothes I was hoping to donate. There are a LOT of old T-shirts in those bags. Now I have something to do with them! Thanks so much!

• Kgaletin
    Kgaletin

Great project! I think kids would have fun making this rug for their rooms.