DIY Large Outdoor Dining Table - Seats 10-12

I have been wanting a large outdoor dining table FOREVER! So, to celebrate turning the BIG four-zero, I decided to build myself one. :-) Happy Birthday to me!! I finished it just in time to have my family over to celebrate my jump into middle-age. Except for my daughter’s birthday celebrations, we usually just have a family dinner to celebrate mine or my husbands b-days, which usually means we have 11 or 12 family members over for dinner (including us). So, I HAD to have a table that would fit said 11 or 12 people of course, so build one I did, and I must say I am absolutely LOVING it!
For the table top, I modified plans from Shanty to Chic and Ana White to create a longer table, and then I built my own base by looking at elements from other DIY tables, and creating my own design. Here are some pics of how it turned out:
Materials List:
14 – 2x4x10
4 – 4x6x12
wood glue
Kreg pocket hole jig
2 1/2″ pocket hole screws
2 1/2″ exterior wood screws
countersink drill bit
wood stain
exterior spar urethane varnish
Cut List
Table Top:
5 – 2×4 @ 105 1/2″ each
4 – 2×6 @ 105 1/2″ each
2 – 2×4 @ 108 1/2″ each
2 – 2×4 @ 43 3/16″ each
3 – 2×4 @ 39 1/2″ each with each end cut at 45 degree angle
Table Base:
8 – 2×4 @ 17″ each, with each end cut at 45 degree angle
4 – 2×4 @ 24″ each
4 – 2×4 @ 6″ each
2 – 2×4 @ 30 5/16″ each, with each end cut at a 45 degree angle
2 – 2×4 @ 33 7/16″ each, with each end cut at a 45 degree angle
2 – 2×4 @ 35 11/16″ each, with each end cut at a 45 degree angle
1 – 2×3 @ 68 1/2″, (cut 2×4 to 68 1/2″, and then rip board down to 3″ wide on table saw)
Here are the basic instructions, detailed plans are available on the blog at the link below.
First build the table top:
Cut the 2x4 and 2x6 boards for the top and place the boards into position on a large flat surface.
Cut the support boards and attach to the bottom of the table top using wood glue and 2 1/2" wood screws.
Cut the boards for the table top trim pieces and attach using pocket holes and pocket hole screws.
Next, build the base.
Cut the boards to the correct lengths for the feet and attach using wood glue and 2 1/2" wood screws.
Cut the boards for the legs and attach with pocket holes and pocket hole screws. Next attach the legs to the bottom of the table and add in the cross support board.
Then cut and add the other cross support boards using wood glue and pocket hole screws.
Lastly, cut the boards to create the diamond shape design on each leg and attach with wood glue and 2 1/2" wood screws.
Now, sand, stain, and coat in varnish and you have a beautiful, large outdoor dining table!

Pinspired to DIY

• Eric Taysom

what kind of wood did you use? I am actually planning on using your instructions to make a table! I am impressed and my wife loves the design. Im an amateur wood worker, and I feel this would be a great project for me. also, did you counter sink every screw unless you used then keg jig? It looks like you plugged the countersinking on the outside edge, did you do that everywhere? also, I can't tell how you secured the very bottom pieces on the feet... anyway, thank you for posting, and thank you for your time. I can't wait to get started!

• Nick Lutz

You can use standard pine 2"x 4" just ,make sure you coat the entire table with outdoor urethane. I am going to make this table today

• Kathu

For the screws on the table skirt and legs... did you use wood filler before sanding and staining?
    • Pinspired to DIY

Hi Kathu, I did use wood filler to fill in any visible screw holes prior to sanding and staining.
  • Sam Said

Hello, what is the final width of the table? thanks
    • Mitchell Sickler

Looks like 4 2x6, which would be 22" and 5 2x4, which would be 17.5". Finally there are the border 2x4 which would add 3". Add it together and you have 42.5" wide.
  • Maria

Beautiful! What chairs do you use with this table?
  • Charles W. Hale

How can I get a copy of the plans with and how can I print each of the pages listed here?

• Pinspired to DIY

Hi Charles, I have a downloadable version of the plans on my blog. If you click on the link to my website above, you'll get a direct link to the page on my website.

• Ksk35342658

Where do I find the detailed plans at? I don’t see a link anywhere?

• Julian Rose

i made this table in accordance with the plans but it is too tall (32” compared with a standard table height of 29”) so finding chairs to go with it is a nightmare. Any suggestions?

• Pinspired to DIY

Hi Julian, I built a bench for the table that is the perfect height for the table. The plans for the bench are also on my website

• Julian Rose

Yeah we don’t want a bench. You should probably provide slightly modified plans for those people that want to have a standard 29” table height

• Steve Dec

All you have to do is cut the leg pieces 3” shorter it’s not rocket science

• Rachel Breaux

Actually, Steve, it doesn't require a little bit of figuration that exceeds the "just cut 3 inches shorter". Changing the height of the legs adjusts the size of the design within it. It's much like adjusting clipart. If you want to remain proportional, you must adjust the overall size from the corner, not just the top or bottom.

• Adam

What type of wood did you use for the top and the legs?

• Sharon Jones

Did you leave space between the boards on top to allow water drainage? If you didn't have you had issues with water setting on the table top?

• Greg

The materials list, calls for 4- 4x6x12, did it mean to say 4-2x6x12? When you look at the cut list it doesn’t say anything about a 4x6x12.