Asked on Sep 14, 2015

Tile grout repair

CherieIsabel PenningtonGrant
+6

What can I use to brighten up old white grout surrounding white bathroom tiles? Is it ok to re-grout over the top of old grout?
    Janet Pizaro

You should not re-grout over existing tiles.There are many ways to brighten up the grout. Rejouvinate is one product available. You also can try toothpaste and a small brush.

• Anne Anderson
      Anne Anderson

@Janet Pizaro Thanks Janet. I think Rejouvinate is available here in Melbourne. Good to know that it's effective. Cheers.

• Deeply Southern Home
    Deeply Southern Home

I have also used grout colorant to change the color of grout. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polyblend-10-Antique-White-8-oz-Grout-Renew-Colorant-GCL10HPT/100096585 It's rather tedious but it does work.

• Anne Anderson
      Anne Anderson

@Paper Daisy Design Thanks so much for your suggestion. I will see if that product is available in Australia. Cheers.

• Grant
    Grant

i use a thick paste of Comet and water. leave it set 10-15 minutes. use the very stiffest nylon brush you can find (i use a Dep grout brush from Home Depot). )very, very labor intensive but nothing i have ever tried works as well. . not baking soda/vinegar, peroxide, nothing. i would love to find something better but even Rejuvenate has not held a candle to this mixture. i have alabaster color grout and unglazed porcelain tile..

• Anne Anderson
      Anne Anderson

@Grant HI Grant, Thanks so much for your suggestion. I've never heard of Comet before, but I will investigate. I guess the trick is to keep the grout white. I appreciate your help.

• Isabel Pennington
    Isabel Pennington

A product called THE WORKS(used to clean toilets) will clean dull tile. If you are sensitive to hard chemicals wear gloves and open a window(pretty strong). Squirt on, let set then scrub and finish with a final rinse!! Or take a screw driver and scrape the grout(top surface) and re-grout with a similar color and seal!

• Anne Anderson
      Anne Anderson

@Thank You Isabel Pennington I think I may give the scraping and regrouting a try to get a consistent look. Much appreciated.

• Cherie
    Cherie

Hi, where did you get your door? And the hardware for it?

Thank you