$5 Curtains

I have come up with a super easy way to make curtains, and for super cheap!
I made my curtains out of cotton sheets that I picked up at Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart sells these twin size flat sheets for only $5! What a steal! You can't buy curtains, nor fabric for that price. Plus they have several different colors and patterns to choose from. I picked white.
I came up with the idea to use sheets because I needed curtains for our sunroom. I love all of the windows in our sunroom, and really didn't want to cover them up at all, but we do need the privacy. I wanted something lightweight and inexpensive and so I decided to use sheets.
I went to Wal-Mart and picked up 5 twin size sheets (1 panel for each window and the french doors). I pre-washed and ironed each sheet. Then I cut each one in half lengthwise. Next, I hemmed all of the raw edges with my sewing machine.
*Note - depending on the size of your window, you may choose not to cut the sheet in half. However, for an average size window like I have, 1 sheet cut in half will cover the window perfectly.
Next, I created tabs to hang it by. I cut slits into the top hem every couple of inches being careful to only cut the top layer. Make sure to start and end with a slit.
The reason for the slits is that it creates pleats in the curtain once hung.
This helps them to look more like curtains and less like sheets.
The sheets are longer then your average curtain, therefore you get that great puddling on the floor. If you don't like the puddle look you can also cut and hem the bottoms.
I am really happy with the way my curtains turned out. They are just what I needed in our sunroom, They don't cover up too much of the windows, they are lightweight, but they are still thick enough to give us the privacy we wanted.
To see more, please check out my blog at the address below.

21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
The Wicker House

• Carol

How did you finish off the slits for putting the rod through ?

• Alice

as above question - not needed to do as hidden behind rod/curtain

• Miranda

I also use Walmart flat sheets for curtains, pillow cases work for the small windows. Look for the pattern with a different design on the cuff, makes for a designer look. I've also used the flat sheets to line table cloths that I use for curtains as well.

• Kdb

I have used lace tablecloths from Dollarama as curtains. I just slid the rod through spaces in the lace

• Diane Myers

My windows are longer than average. No sheet sissies is long enough. Any suggestions?

• Diane Myers

My windows are not average size. No size sheet is Long enough. Very frustrating. Diane

• Rose Tovey

How about using XL twin sheet (4 inches longer)

or splitting California king sheets if the windows are long and wide ? Maybe look on e-bay.

Check sheets to see how big the hem is.

• Diane

I have used a twin fitted on my picnic table. Works. Well and doesn’t blow off.