$5 Curtains

I have come up with a super easy way to make curtains, and for super cheap!
I made my curtains out of cotton sheets that I picked up at Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart sells these twin size flat sheets for only $5! What a steal! You can't buy curtains, nor fabric for that price. Plus they have several different colors and patterns to choose from. I picked white.
I came up with the idea to use sheets because I needed curtains for our sunroom. I love all of the windows in our sunroom, and really didn't want to cover them up at all, but we do need the privacy. I wanted something lightweight and inexpensive and so I decided to use sheets.
I went to Wal-Mart and picked up 5 twin size sheets (1 panel for each window and the french doors). I pre-washed and ironed each sheet. Then I cut each one in half lengthwise. Next, I hemmed all of the raw edges with my sewing machine.
*Note - depending on the size of your window, you may choose not to cut the sheet in half. However, for an average size window like I have, 1 sheet cut in half will cover the window perfectly.
Next, I created tabs to hang it by. I cut slits into the top hem every couple of inches being careful to only cut the top layer. Make sure to start and end with a slit.
The reason for the slits is that it creates pleats in the curtain once hung.
This helps them to look more like curtains and less like sheets.
The sheets are longer then your average curtain, therefore you get that great puddling on the floor. If you don't like the puddle look you can also cut and hem the bottoms.
I am really happy with the way my curtains turned out. They are just what I needed in our sunroom, They don't cover up too much of the windows, they are lightweight, but they are still thick enough to give us the privacy we wanted.
To see more, please check out my blog at the address below.

31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
The Wicker House

• Sheri
    Sheri

Do you mind if I ask the color of paint in your room and the trim color? Thanks!

• Mickyhowle
    Mickyhowle

They look wonderful. Do you have one long rod? If not how are they put together?

• Vicki Ashley Holleman
    Vicki Ashley Holleman

You don’t have to cut. I did this years ago for my boys room. With racing checkered flag sheets to go with the racing theme! Just slide through the top!

• Kevin
    Kevin

You did a GREAT job love your curtains!

Way back in the 1970s and 1980s sheets were hot for decorating used on walls with a staple gun, upholster a headboard, etc. with sheets.

Back in the day I could buy beautiful sheets retail and singles NOT sets i could buy a full size sheet, a king size sheet, a twin size sheet, and 2 packs of pillow cases.

Today its all "sets" that may include a comforter costly sets $$$ preclude the option of decorating with sheets which had been a fantastic budget decorating option.

Kevin

• Muji
    Muji

Great job and savings.

I would do it for my guest room.

Currently, it have short curtains anI would like to layer it with long ones for privacy.