The Wicker House
The Wicker House
  • Meridian, ID

$5 Curtains

I have come up with a super easy way to make curtains, and for super cheap!
5 curtains, diy, home decor, reupholster, window treatments
I made my curtains out of cotton sheets that I picked up at Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart sells these twin size flat sheets for only $5! What a steal! You can't buy curtains, nor fabric for that price. Plus they have several different colors and patterns to choose from. I picked white.
I came up with the idea to use sheets because I needed curtains for our sunroom. I love all of the windows in our sunroom, and really didn't want to cover them up at all, but we do need the privacy. I wanted something lightweight and inexpensive and so I decided to use sheets.
I went to Wal-Mart and picked up 5 twin size sheets (1 panel for each window and the french doors). I pre-washed and ironed each sheet. Then I cut each one in half lengthwise. Next, I hemmed all of the raw edges with my sewing machine.
*Note - depending on the size of your window, you may choose not to cut the sheet in half. However, for an average size window like I have, 1 sheet cut in half will cover the window perfectly.
Next, I created tabs to hang it by. I cut slits into the top hem every couple of inches being careful to only cut the top layer. Make sure to start and end with a slit.
The reason for the slits is that it creates pleats in the curtain once hung.
This helps them to look more like curtains and less like sheets.
The sheets are longer then your average curtain, therefore you get that great puddling on the floor. If you don't like the puddle look you can also cut and hem the bottoms.
I am really happy with the way my curtains turned out. They are just what I needed in our sunroom, They don't cover up too much of the windows, they are lightweight, but they are still thick enough to give us the privacy we wanted.
To see more, please check out my blog at the address below.
The Wicker House

• Susan

I'm unclear about "cutting a slit in the top layer." Is this left as a raw edge? Does one iron the sheet after this step?

Thank you.

• 42450011
      Yesterday

The cut edges go on the backside, they're not visible. No need to "finish" them.

• Jill Bartorillo

You said you bought 5 twin size sheets but in the “ materials used list” states full size? Which size did you use?

• Ruth M Brannigan

I’ve used sheets like this and the answer is in the width of your windows and your personal sense of styling.

• Linda

One question though. I don’t have a sewing machine so could you use that fabric glue for something like this? This is a great idea and sounds easy enough I could probably do it lol

• Donna

You can also take a round table cloth, fold it in half, cut on the fold. Now

there will be 2 equal pieces. Fold each raw edge and stitch or iron stitch witchery leaving room enough for rods. This makes 2 topper pieces, for a picture window. I did this at Christmas with white table cloth/ with a red ribbon design on the outer edge. Beautiful!

• Ed
    An hour ago

I used to do this when I was in college. Used fabric glue to make the hems. I would buy 2 sets of sheets from the bargain bin, run the pillow cases crosswise for valances and use the fitted sheets on my futon.