Asked on Sep 16, 2015

Looking for ideas re: repurposing mantel clock

J RobinsonBeverley HollandJoni Renae Skellie
+6

I picked this clock up at a garage sale and it did work for a while. It has only chimed once since I brought it home and now has decided to only run it once in a while. Clock repair is big $$ so I'm not interested in repair. So, I'm looking for ideas for re-using this piece. The reason for buying it was to cover the place on this antique dresser where the mirror would be attached...if I had the mirror. No sentimental value for the clock so I'm open to all ideas. Thanks
  • Z
    Z

Cindy, did you know you can buy inexpensive clock parts to make clocks? You can also use them to repair old clocks. Since it's so neat as a clock, that would be my first choice. Being you're not close to a large city, you could order them online. It won't have the chimes. Though you can buy them too, they are much more expensive. http://www.walnuthollow.com/store/clock-making/movements/

Janet Pizaro

Ok since you do not want to repair the clock my suggestion would be to paint it according to your sense of style and maybe decopoge the outside.

• Sandra
    Sandra

I agree with Becky. That is a great looking old clock. You could probably keep the face and add a battery pack on the back.

• Katrina Warren
    Katrina Warren

@Cindy I actually bought a non-working full size grandfather clock at goodwill, I plan to attempt to sculpt a removeable man in the moon type face (where the clock face currently is) decorate it for Halloween with a skeleton sneaking out the door of it, & at Christmas time maybe paint a removable face plate with a scene of Santa flying around the world to deliver packages.... Other times of the year, I will probably have the moon face on it with a mouse sitting next to it. (Hickory Dickery Dock....) Different type clock so probably not much help but thought it might give you a few ideals... Also if you don't care about the clock or it's works, you could take it apart & use the old cogs etc... inside for jewelry making etc....

• Gwen Crutcher Stace
    Gwen Crutcher Stace

Would make a great photo frame.

• Joni Renae Skellie
    Joni Renae Skellie

Forgive me for asking a simple question, but did the key come with the clock? This type needs to be wound with a key, usually daily, to keep working. I'm not sure how familiar you are with this type of clock, so if I'm telling you something you already know, just disregard.

• Cindy
      Cindy

@Joni Renae Skellie Yes, it has a key and I wind it. I'm the only one that keeps up my end of the "I wind and you keep time" bargain!

• Beverley Holland
    Beverley Holland

My husband went to a craft store and bought the clock kit and installed in ours. We kept the original parts so they can be repaired at a better time. That way the click can keep some of its value as an antique

• J Robinson
    J Robinson

Why does it have to work? Just set the hands to a time that has a special meaning to you....maybe the time you got married, first met, etc. It's a beautiful old clock; just live with it til it can be repaired (if you still want to!).