How To Build A Wine Bottle Bird Feeder

It’s time for another installment of The Home Depot Gift Challenge. Today, I am sharing How To Build A Wine Bottle Bird Feeder and the best part is that it isn’t ridiculously hard to make if you have a few tools on hand!

I was inspired to create a wine bottle bird feeder from a pin I saw on Pinterest and modified the design to my liking.

Supplies List:

• 1 – 8 foot 1″x2″ pine furring strip
  • 1 – 4″x6″ 4 Ft Poplar Hobby Board
  • 1 – 3″-5″ Stainless-Steel Hose Clamp
  • 1 – 750 ML Wine Bottle
  • Table Saw (Or have the nice people at The Home Depot make the cuts for you!)
  • Miter Saw or Miter Box (and Saw)
  • Drill Clamps (Optional)
  • Wood Glue
  • Paint
  • Birdseed

Cut List (from left to right below):

• 2 – 1″×2″ Furring Strips at 3 5/8″ (the sides)
  • 1 – 1″×2″ Furring Strip at 4 5/8″ (the back)
  • 1 – 1″×2″ Furring Strip at 6″ (the front)
  • 2 – 1″x2″ Furring Strips at 6″ (the roof) with a 45° cut at one end of each
  • 2 – 1″x2″ Furring Strips at 12″ (the vertical sides) with a 45° cut at one end of each

Also:

• 1 – Poplar Hobby Board at 6″×6″
  • 1 – Poplar Hobby Board at 6″×13 1/2″ with a 45° cuts on both sides of one end

Ok, I’m sure reading all of those supplies and cuts may have you feeling overwhelmed, but trust me, you can do this and it won’t be that bad. Here are the furring strips and a view of how they will be glued together.

Connect all of the furring strips together with wood glue. Attach the hobby board pieces to the bottom and back of the bird feeder frame with wood glue too.

Then, use the drill with a small drill bit to create two slits (I did 3 holes in a line for each) in the back of the feeder for the hose clamp to go through. The clamp will go around the wine bottle and through the back where you will be able to adjust the tightness.

After that, paint or stain your feeder. Add the bird seed to the wine bottle. To place it, turn the feeder upside down insert the bottle through the hose clamp and tighten it on the back, leaving just a few centimeters between neck of the bottle and the bottom of the bird feeder.

Doesn’t it look cool!?! I placed ours on top of an outdoor shelf on our fence, but you could easily add some hardware to hang it or attach a stake to the back and place it in the ground. Hopefully, we get some sweet birdies to come and visit, however, I’m sure the squirrels are plotting their bird feed takeover.

To see more details or if you have more questions, please visit our blog!

Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Everything Red For Canada Day
Elizabeth Joan Designs

• Jess
    Jess

Where can I find that blue bottle? Pretty color!

• Lora
    Lora

How do you refill the bottle? Do you have to loosen metal strap each time ?

• Archie
      Archie

I see two wooden dowels at the top of the bottle neck from the back to hold it at the proper height and a wooden dowel across the front to hold the bottle upright and that would also give the birds waiting their turn a place to perch if it sticks out the side. That way you would just remove the front dowel to remove and fill the bottle and not have to bother with the clamp.

Just a thought.

• Cor32419347
    Cor32419347

How can you keep those pesky squirrels out of it!