How to turn a bi-fold door into a double door

$20
2.5 Hours

Our pantry door was constantly falling off the track and was driving me crazy. I looked into buying a new door (I wouldn't do a bi-fold door again) but was looking at about $100 ( I wanted something with a bit of character). But thought I may as well just try re-using the broken bi-fold door first and turning it into a double door. I figured if it didn't work it would be no loss. But it worked and only cost about $20. This was a really simple project but you will need someone to help you hold the doors.
how to turn a bi fold door into a double door, closet, doors
how to turn a bi fold door into a double door, closet, doors, Painted Seal by Martha Stewart and added cute knobs
Painted Seal by Martha Stewart and added cute knobs.
how to turn a bi fold door into a double door, closet, doors, Before basic bi fold door
Before basic bi-fold door
how to turn a bi fold door into a double door, closet, doors, Remove all hardware from bi fold doors
Remove all hardware from bi-fold doors.
how to turn a bi fold door into a double door, closet, doors, Add Magnetic Catch
Add Magnetic Catch
how to turn a bi fold door into a double door, closet, doors, Pre drill holes
Pre-drill holes
how to turn a bi fold door into a double door, closet, doors, Add hinges to door
Add hinges to door.
how to turn a bi fold door into a double door, closet, doors, I did need to sand the doors in order for them to close properly
I did need to sand the doors in order for them to close properly.

2 Little Superheroes

• Amaris Leitch

what did the hinges hang on, on the frame side? Ours has casing to show a nice closed, finished edge. I'm assuming that you can't hand the hinges on a 1" wide casing. Did she have to remove it?

• Marie Domanski

What did you fill the old door handle hole with?
  • Melanie

I love this idea and I am looking to do it in our bedroom. But my husband pointed something out that I just didn't have the answer for. The first picture of your doors originally had a one knob in the middle. Then your final product image shows two knobs on the side. How do you conceal the original hole? Our doors are not hard wood but plastic. any advice would be great!
    • Ingrid CK

Omg Ruby not caulking! Wood filler will do the job, it can be sanded. You cannot sand caulking.

• Stuart

Only issue i see is they made it seem like hanging doors, (putting hinges on and aligning properly is an easy task, it is not.
  • Lex2716992

Definitely, I have been looking at new bifold doors but will try this first! Thanks