How to turn a bi-fold door into a double door

$20
2.5 Hours

Our pantry door was constantly falling off the track and was driving me crazy. I looked into buying a new door (I wouldn't do a bi-fold door again) but was looking at about $100 ( I wanted something with a bit of character). But thought I may as well just try re-using the broken bi-fold door first and turning it into a double door. I figured if it didn't work it would be no loss. But it worked and only cost about $20. This was a really simple project but you will need someone to help you hold the doors.
Painted Seal by Martha Stewart and added cute knobs.
Before basic bi-fold door
Remove all hardware from bi-fold doors.
Add Magnetic Catch
Pre-drill holes
Add hinges to door.
I did need to sand the doors in order for them to close properly.

2 Little Superheroes

• Holly Noel

I am confused about the trim. Did you move it? most closet trim overhangs into the door space not allowing for a hinge, so the trim would have to be moved flush with the door opening right?

• Teresa Cosgrove

I am thinking this is where she had to sand the door to make it fit. Maybe she sanded the trim so the door would open and shut properly

• Bri10557396

Our bifold door has flush trim, maybe hers did too.

• Amaris Leitch

what did the hinges hang on, on the frame side? Ours has casing to show a nice closed, finished edge. I'm assuming that you can't hand the hinges on a 1" wide casing. Did she have to remove it?

• Marie Domanski

What did you fill the old door handle hole with?
  • Melanie

I love this idea and I am looking to do it in our bedroom. But my husband pointed something out that I just didn't have the answer for. The first picture of your doors originally had a one knob in the middle. Then your final product image shows two knobs on the side. How do you conceal the original hole? Our doors are not hard wood but plastic. any advice would be great!
    • Chia banus

i'd say use the same hole. Just put that door with the original hole on the respective side so it works.

• Linda Barrett Dirksen

Brillant save! Love the new look!

• Rudy

you can fill the hole left from the knob with caulk then a little sand and paint should address that.

• Jonathan Soard

Thanks. I've been wanting to do this and you just put me over the edge. The information is a little sketchy when it comes to hinges and clearance. Are these standard door hinges? Did you mortise the door and or the frame? Most bi-folds are shorter than the frame clearance to handle the track, what did you do with the shortfall. BTW, they look great. I'm just a little fuzzy on details.

• Ingrid CK

Omg Ruby not caulking! Wood filler will do the job, it can be sanded. You cannot sand caulking.

• Stuart

Only issue i see is they made it seem like hanging doors, (putting hinges on and aligning properly is an easy task, it is not.
  • Lex2716992

Definitely, I have been looking at new bifold doors but will try this first! Thanks