Jennifer Allwood
Jennifer Allwood
  • Kansas City, MO

An OMBRE Pallet Project for Your Fall Porch

I am convinced that pallet projects for your front porch are one of the easiest, cheapest ways to add a ton of color to your home and make a huge statement!
an ombre pallet project for your fall porch, pallet, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor

I had made a patriotic pallet project for the 4th of July that you can see at http://themagicbrushinc.com/palletflag/ . I was a little sad when I took it down, so I decided to do a new pallet project for FALL.

I started with a pallet that I got from a new construction site. My husband, Mr. Magic, took all of the slats off of the pallet and re-nailed them back on with the slats close together. He did take some slats from the back of the pallet and put those on the front too so that it has wood from top to bottom on the frame.

So when I started, the pallet looked like this. Since I own a decorative painting company, I rummaged thru my studio until I found some autumn looking paint colors I wanted to use on the pallet.

I was going for an ombre effect on this project, so I selected all latex paints in a white, a soft yellow, a light orange, a sweet potato color, a red and I left the bottom slat brown.

I literally just dry brushed the paint on and did not give it a lot of time or thought. Some of the paint was satin, some flat and the white was even primer. None of that really matters. And, if you are not a paint hoarder like myself, you can always go buy sample quarts from a paint store! You will use VERY LITTLE paint!

So when it was finished, the pallet looked like this.

After the paint dried, I used some stain on the edges of each slat because the stain just ages the paint and helps it to not look brand new. I used Old Masters Gel Stain because I had it, but you could use any stain to "dirty up the edges". I mixed it with a little paint thinner so it wasn't so thick and would go on a little thinner.

I have a quick video showing you how I stained the slats! It's quick and easy!

Next, I found a fall banner already made at Hobby Lobby. I love DIY projects, but there is no sense in making a banner if you can buy one for $4 already made! =) So I attached that to the corner of the pallet.

Then I hung an old grapevine wreath on the pallet from a nail.

We added a pot full of tall sticks with Christmas lights wrapped thru them to the side of the pallet. I wanted to add that to the decor because at night it looks so super soft and fall-ish!

Threw in a few pumpkins and old crates and sack and we were done!

I show you the other items on our porch in this video where I also address the age old question of "where is the fine line between gorgeous and gaudy?". Ha, I'm not the girl to ask! I will always say "go big or go home!"

And finally, I had a last minute idea for a "pot" for my mum.... It's an easy decor tip!

I'd love for you to take a peek at my other fall projects. Look for Jennifer Allwood on Facebook and we can connect there.

Happy fall!
Jennifer Allwood

• Dorothy Frankey

love your pallet art. I have access to everything but the "sack". Any suggestions on where to get some?
    • Stacye H

Make one from burlap at fabric store and stencil on a design
  • Shortcake

What did you use to make the Happy Fall Y'all flag for the pallet?.
  • Theresia Sinnett Shearer

Love this arrangement, especially the ombre effect. Have you tried flipping the pallet so the oranges are at the top?

• Crafty girl

My neighbor has so many pallets! Nice way to reuse,recycle plus creatively cute.
  • Shortcake

Love the pallet work. I really like the little flag Happy Fall Y'all that you did as well.