Should You Replace or Paint Paneling?

So, you want to update a room with paneling but you just don't know... should you replace or paint paneling?
Many older homes in this our have at least one room that has paneled walls. Knotty Pine was quite the rage back in the 50's and 60's. Paneling presents quite a few issues when the time comes to make a change. Certainly changing from paneling's dark appearance can make a family room seem much larger and definitely much brighter. But what do you do?
Painting the paneling is doable and certainly it will be quite a bit cheaper. Before painting however there is an item for discussion...those seams!

These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas

• Rick Albarran
    Rick Albarran

Looks very similar too the color my wife painted the paneling in our breezway. The color is called Plateau. Made by Behr.

• Susan N
    Susan N

My parents painted paneling in their office/tv room and it looked wonderful since the day it was finished. They also used a creamy white and the lines in the paneling make it interesting and unique. Seeing these "after" photos makes me want to put up paneling just so I can paint it!