Gabriel R
Gabriel R
  • Berwyn, IL
Asked on Feb 18, 2013

Landscaping Hardscapes

Elizabeth SagarminagaDeck and Patio Company "Outdoor Living Experts"Gabriel R
+5

Any Ideas what kind of hardscape I should use to replace our aging stone work? Want it to compliment the house.
q landscaping hardscapes, landscape
q landscaping hardscapes, landscape

To me eye that cries out for honed bluestone.

• Gabriel R

Thanks I'll google that and check it out in person.

• Your house is beautiful! Maybe try to use a material that has been used on the house - it looks like maybe limestone was used as a trim in various places (near windows?) on the house. Since the house itself, the wood trim, and the front door are on the darker side, a lighter paver (like natural limestone) would create contrast to highlight the house and its classic features.

• Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls

What a gorgeous house you have @Gabriel R ! It looks like a historical home which I am a big fan of (I happen to live in one too). With that said, I would use materials that were around during the construction of your house. There are many different colors of Clay Bricks or you could go with a Natural Bluestone or Slate. I would take a picture of your house along with some extra bricks you might happen to have laying around and go down to the Brick yard and find something you like.

• I would definitely go with some sort of stone...bluestone, slate...it would be absolutely stunning.

• Gabriel R

Thanks everyone I'm liking the idea of a blue slate or even dark gray...

• Natural stone is a great choice, but the way it is normally installed is on a concrete slab and with mortar base and joints. If you have winter conditions, I recommend a more durable product that looks like natural stone but is really a concrete product (that have a more natural look than the pavers you have now). The product is call Techo-Bloc Aberdeen. It comes in 5 sizes and looks like large slabs of Bluestone. It gets installed on a crushed stone base and uses a polymer sand joint so you don't have the problems of natural stone that can develop cracked joints and loose stones as it ages. http://www.techo-bloc.com/homeowners/index.php?p=Products&e=view&productId=227

q landscaping hardscapes, landscape, Techo Bloc Slabs this one is called Inca it is similar to Aberdeen
  • Elizabeth Sagarminaga

A garden path can highlight the outdoor features and add substantial functional outdoor elements as well. A number of options are available in designs and materials for constructing a garden path and it does not need to be always expensive. You can get some useful information from here: http://bit.ly/1Jrkn29