How To Create A Gorgeous Looking Totally Organized Upright Freezer

Quite a few years ago I invested in an upright freezer. I much prefer it to a chest freezer because it takes up less room in the mudroom where it is located. I love just having to open the door as if I were opening a closet door to add, return or remove whatever frozen food I am looking for.
But there are some issues with an upright freezer just as there are with a chest freezer. The upright freezer has five shelves inside. I tried to designate each shelf for a different category of food. But have you noticed that frozen food is not packaged the same so it can't be neatly stacked on the shelf in an organized system? Are you like me and have lost track of what is exactly in the freezer and how long it has been there? Have you also noticed that frozen food is actually quite unattractive and unappealing? Looking inside a freezer is a very drab experience. I changed all that with some inexpensive ideas!
I bought 15 plastic bins that are actually shoe bins. Three bins fit perfectly on each of the five shelves. Plastic bins can look pretty drab in the freezer too so I decorated each one with pretty blue washi tape.
I used my Brother PT-D600 label maker to create labels for each bin. These labels work on both cold and hot surfaces so I do not have to worry about the labels coming off. I have had this storage system for two years and the plastic bins have held very well. One of the bins does have a chipped corner. I think just sliding them back and forth when needed has made them quite a user friendly storage solution.
With this bin system I can easily see what category of foods I have a lot of and which ones I need to replace. This photo shows that I have a lot of pork meat. I tucked some pork roasts beside the bin because there was no room. It also looks like the family will be eating sole fish a few times in the near future.
I mentioned earlier that food does not come in nice uniform packages that nicely fit into the freezer. I like to buy my frozen vegetables and fruit in bulk packages at Costco. What I do when I get home is repackage the food into smaller more manageable packages that are easy to stack and store in the plastic bins.
Here is the BEFORE...
Here is the AFTER. I can't believe what an improvement it is! Food is expensive and I see it as an investment. Having a totally organized upright freezer helps me keep track of my investment by immediately seeing what I have purchased or need to purchase when I open the upright freezer door.
By the way, I see these organizing tips also working for a chest freezer!
I go into more details on the blog. I invite to stop by for more information!

30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Time With Thea

• Karen Hawkins

Did you notice that some of the foods were in the wrong boxes? I've been doing this for years, mainly to keep the foods from falling out when the door is opened.

• Sophia

what size are the bins?

• Sandra Allen

This is what I did with 9 shoes boxes. It works great if the freezer is the right size. You can't see them well, but they are marked seafood, chicken, casseroles, etc. Hope that helps.

• Julie Little

Do you have any suggestions for chest type freezers?

• KatAych

Freeze everything flat in freezer-safe bags (Ziplock makes some); stand them upright in bins or baskets.

• Pat

We use vacuum bags which will make the food last so much longer,also with ground beef you can flatten them out to stack easier. We take pork tenderloins and package to dinner size packages as with all meals.

• Lora Taylor Hyatt

I tried this but the plastic boxes cracked badly, so now I buy the jumbo ziploc bags I think they are like 3 gallon size, not sure but have the bags labeled and it working out great