How To Create A Gorgeous Looking Totally Organized Upright Freezer

Quite a few years ago I invested in an upright freezer. I much prefer it to a chest freezer because it takes up less room in the mudroom where it is located. I love just having to open the door as if I were opening a closet door to add, return or remove whatever frozen food I am looking for.
But there are some issues with an upright freezer just as there are with a chest freezer. The upright freezer has
how to create a gorgeous looking totally organized upright freezer, appliances, how to, organizing, storage ideas
I bought 15 plastic bins that are actually shoe bins. Three bins fit perfectly on each of the five shelves. Plastic bins can look pretty drab in the freezer too so I decorated each one with pretty blue washi tape.
I used my Brother PT-D600 label maker to create labels for each bin. These labels work on both cold and hot surfaces so I do not have to worry about the labels coming off. I have had this storage system for two years and the plastic bins have held very well. One of the bins does have a chipped corner. I think just sliding them back and forth when needed has made them quite a user friendly storage solution.
With this bin system I can easily see what category of foods I have a lot of and which ones I need to replace. This photo shows that I have a lot of pork meat. I tucked some pork roasts beside the bin because there was no room. It also looks like the family will be eating sole fish a few times in the near future.
I mentioned earlier that food does not come in nice uniform packages that nicely fit into the freezer. I like to buy my frozen vegetables and fruit in bulk packages at Costco. What I do when I get home is repackage the food into smaller more manageable packages that are easy to stack and store in the plastic bins.
Here is the BEFORE...
Here is the AFTER. I can't believe what an improvement it is! Food is expensive and I see it as an investment. Having a totally organized upright freezer helps me keep track of my investment by immediately seeing what I have purchased or need to purchase when I open the upright freezer door.
By the way, I see these organizing tips also working for a chest freezer!
I go into more details on the blog. I invite to stop by for more information!
Time With Thea

• Adrian

What can I do if my freezer doesn't have any racks?

• Joanie

If you have different meats you want to freeze. Xtra sale meats or etc. Make sure everything is in a bag. Flatten it out good, so they are stackable. Another little tip...

• Teena Nolen

Want the plastic crack or break.

• I use these in the refrigerator and freezer. They don't break, but I do make sure that i only tug on the edge to get it moving, then if real heavy I support them underneath as i pull them all the way out. In the refrigerator I use them to corral bottles, one for hot sauce and soy sauce, one for condiments, etc. Never really thought about it but guests always comment on how clean and organized my fridge is...

• Deb

Any solutions for a chest freezer?

• Roberta Stevens

Only suggestion I have for chest (or any) freezers is to store your meat packages in a large bin on the bottom, that way if you have a power outage & lose all of your contents, at least you won't have a bloody nasty freezer to clean, it will all be contained in the bin.

• Judy

I tried making a list of what's on each shelf and had one entire shelf for beef, one for chicken, etc. BUT over time and when in a hurry, everything got all mixed up and I find myself digging through all for what I need! I like this bin idea so much better and will definitely be trying it. Thank you for the idea!

• Joanie

The stand up freezers are nice......the shelving and bins are good ideas. I had one and never thought of the bins. We took it back and got a long chest freezer. I had a half of beef in it. I didn't have a problem, everything was marked and had it's own corner, when I packed it. It had 2 baskets where I kept my homemade baked breads, sweets and baby foods. I didn't freeze veggies, because I canned ALL my veggies from my garden. Along with fruits, jellies, pickles and peppers. I had a large basement and I had 2 bins for my potatoes and onions. I had little to shop for. I also made my own sauerkraut and my Mom and Aunt even made horseradish and shared it with me. I made a lot of ice ;)) and did A LOT of cookin'. ;))) 4 sons could eat a lot of vittles. I lived in the country so I was taught to pick good mushrooms, raspberries, eldeberries, pears.,apples, cherries and peaches. We also had Hickory nut trees and Black English walnuts. My step, great grandmother had the cherry and pear trees. My Daddy had the peach trees and the apples were wild winter apples. My Daddy was the eldest son of 14 kidz, so my Mom learned from Grandma and Mom taught me. End of story.